free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: H1-b married > AOS interview

Hi All,

Here's my story. I was on H1-b before I got married to my then USC boyfriend. We decided to marry suddenly because of my unstable job (company closed down branches and had layoffs). He didn't want me to be illegal and times are tough to find another H1 sponsor. So we went with two friends to courthouse for a civil marriage ceremony. No receiptions whatsoever after that.

I desperately need some advice. I'm having an AOS interview and trying to think of what to say during the interview. Our marriage is genuine. We dated a year and half and been living together before we got married. But it may seem to INS that we did this just to avoid the hassle (which is half true). Initially, we wanted to save money and marry sometime in 2003.

Currently, we have joint bank accounts, health insurance, tax returns and very little wedding pictures with our two best friends. Please advise what should we do or say.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Hi All,

Here's my story. I was on H1-b before I got married to my then USC boyfriend. We decided to marry suddenly because of my unstable job (company closed down branches and had layoffs). He didn't want me to be illegal and times are tough to find another H1 sponsor. So we went with two friends to courthouse for a civil marriage ceremony. No receiptions whatsoever after that.

I desperately need some advice. I'm having an AOS interview and trying to think of what to say during the interview. Our marriage is genuine. We dated a year and half and been living together before we got married. But it may seem to INS that we did this just to avoid the hassle (which is half true). Initially, we wanted to save money and marry sometime in 2003.

Currently, we have joint bank accounts, health insurance, tax returns and very little wedding pictures with our two best friends. Please advise what should we do or say.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

What makes you think the INS thinks that?

For a couple weeks now I've been reading AOS interview experiences on the web and many of those say INS are interested in tax returns, wedding pictures, and asked questions like who was at the wedding type of question.

Your interview isn't going to be the day after you file. By the time it comes around, you'll have tax returns, bills. You could show bills of when you were living together before the wedding.

As far as the marriage goes, you could say the truth, you got married on the spur of the moment. You wouldn't be the first person to elope or just want a very small private wedding.

I think I didn't make it clear before that I had already filed AOS. Unfortunately, my name isn't on any bills. I moved into a condo that he owns so everything is under his name only.

Put your name on the bills, with his. You can bring those at the interview, along with car loans, mortgages, leases...

Does that help?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Although, I can't ask him to add my name to his property. It's something he has before we got married. Likewise as putting my name on the mortgage title. I knew about those car loans. But our cars are paid off. I'm stuck.
    My best is probably to put my name on utilities bills. Thanks.

Ya don't need wedding photos. I did not have them and it was fine. I had photos of us together on vacations and around the house etc... those were real nice, but the interviewer never even opened the photo album. Some do, some don't. Wedding photos are nice but not required. Save cards, letters from his family, letters and cards to each other. Make sure that you are the beneficiary on his employment insurance, health, dental etc. Bring the deed to the house that shows the date that he bought it before you married. If you work, show receipts that you are contributing to the household. (that's not a problem) Good idea to add your name to the utility bills. It will work out fine. If they won't add your name tell them to send the bill to your husband in care of you. This will add your name. Dont be shy, talk to his family on the phone, (you'll be asked if you have) get to know his parents. (some folks don't want to bother, I sympathize, my last mother in law was a nut, but this is important) Get a major credit card together. U don't have to use it, just nice joint proof. Take out term life insurance and make him the beneficiary. Get creative. I know you can come up with all kinds of proof of a valid marriage, cause it IS a valid marriage. Try not to worry. Since it's real, the interviewer will pick up that it is real. No problem. Make sure you have copies of everything for the interviewer and bring the originals. They get a bit crabby if they have to make copies and some send you away and tell you to come back with originals and copies. Organization will bring you sucess. Good luck Keep in mind that the INS can not tell the US citizen who He/She can marry. They dont even want to do that. They just want proof that your marriage is real and your spouse is not being paid to get you a green card etc.... Easy to prove.