50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: TRAVELING WITH PRIOR ARREST RECORD

IF SOMEONE TRAVEL AND HAD A PREVIOUS ARREST RECORD DATINF FROM 1999 (STATE MISDAMENOR ,SIMPLE DWI 1ST TIME OFFENDER WITH 6 MONTH PROBATION COMPLETED , CASE CLOSED IN 2000 )

WILL THIS CAUSE PROBLEM AT PORT OF ENTRY ???

IF SOMEONE TRAVEL AND HAD A PREVIOUS ARREST RECORD DATINF FROM 1999 (STATE MISDAMENOR ,SIMPLE DWI 1ST TIME OFFENDER WITH 6 MONTH PROBATION COMPLETED , CASE CLOSED IN 2000 )

??? You will have to provide more information to get a good answer... What is your status - USC or immigrant? Where are you planning to travel to? If it is within the US, then obviously there is no problem. If you are planning to leave the US, then it depends on which country you are going to. Your problems will be mostly with the country you are trying to get into - most countries will not allow people with criminal convictions to cross their border... How much trouble you have getting back into the US will depend completly on your immigration status...

immigrant who is traveling and getting back to the us

question was for a green card holder who go outside the us for vacation and enter back to the us it was told they have anew system called ibis and it will look into a lot of state and federal database

will the prior conviction will cause problem at us port of entry , i have applied for naturalization and i'm still waiting fo a final decision case is pending a supervisor review (continous)
    arrest was from 1999 simple dwi , completed the 6 month probation and the case and probation has been closed and terminated since i did everything i was told

since then and i have been touble free MA and want to put this episode behing my back i have to wait 10 year before i can seal and expunge this misdamenor conviction .

ps; PLEASE DONT DRINK AND DRIVE IT'S NOT WORTHED

I am not sure of my answer for this question so I would advise a quick consultation with a lawyer (or call to the INS). You do not want to be on the wrong side of the border when you discover that this is an issue...

I have a similar question to guest. I am in process of converting to temporary worker status and need to travel out of US to get new visa.

I was "arrested" for traffic violation (not DWI) it was "failure to displace registration" last year. When I consulted immigration law firm, the paralegal told me that this was not an "arrest" but merely a "detention", and that I will not have any problems, and that I do not even have to say I have ever been "arrested" in any forms.

I tend to agree with her because, I was never read any "miranda", and the offence was in almost all particulars the same as a speeding ticket, because at the end, the police merely issued a ticket which I paid. But still I would be glad to know what any knowledgible person thinks about this, beacause afterall, I was locked up in a cell for almost 12 hours and they took all my picutres, fingerprints etc?

to my knowledge a simple dwi/dui is not a deportable offense or an offense that would make you inadmissible under immigration laws. However, if your prints were taken then once INS does a check that would show, so it would not be a good idea to tell ins that there were never any arrests.

If you were arrested, you would know it. You would have had to face legal proceedings and would of either been convicted or found innocent. If you were detained and then issued a traffic ticket, you were not arrested. Check the charge on your ticket. If it is a traffic law - you are OK. If it is a criminal offense then that is another issue...

As far as a DUI goes, that is a criminal conviction. It may not be deportable (that I do not know); however, it is a criminal arrest and conviction and MUST be represented to the INS that way...