50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: N-400 Natuarlization Process in marriage case

Hi everyone, I don't know what to do with this mess, I am in a critical situation right now. I have come to the U.S. three years ago on CR1 (Conditional Residency) basis. I got married to a citizen girl who sponsored me, so I was qualified for citizenship under three years scenario. I applied for citizenship two months ago. Things were not so good in between she & I since I got here. I want to leave her but don't know what the impact would be on my case. I am stuck with her. N-400 instructions say you have to be with the same girl at the time of application but it doesn't say that you have to be with her during the whole process. I am not sure what is going to happen if I leave her now.

Any comment or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I don't know what to do with this mess, I am in a critical situation right now. I have come to the U.S. three years ago on CR1 (Conditional Residency) basis. I got married to a citizen girl who sponsored me, so I was qualified for citizenship under three years scenario. I applied for citizenship two months ago. Things were not so good in between she & I since I got here. I want to leave her but don't know what the impact would be on my case. I am stuck with her. N-400 instructions say you have to be with the same girl at the time of application but it doesn't say that you have to be with her during the whole process. I am not sure what is going to happen if I leave her now.

Any comment or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello punj76phl - you need to come more specific with your current status. Are you still on conditional status? I mean did you file I-751 to remove the conditions? You can only apply N-400 after three years if you are currently married to the same sponsor till the interview and your conditions must have been removed. If you still carry conditional residency then you should worry about the green card not Citizenship!

Thank you Billyk for the prompt response. The conditional residency has already been removed. I got the 10 years validity green card before I applied N-400. Should I wait until the interview before I take any step or should I leave any time?

No way should you leave or file for divorce until after the oath ceremony and naturalization certificate.
    You must remain married and living together right up to that point.
    And even then.. you should wait at least 2 to 3 months after that to leave and file for divorce.

Dont be foolish at this stage of the game.

I agree with 4now - unless it does not make any difference to get citizenship after five years. You really need to look into your marriage torture and early citizenship! You will have to prove residency and assets together at citizenship interview like you did show to remove conditions if you need citizenship now!

Thank you 4now and Billyk, your comments are really eye opener to me. This citizenship process is not as easy as I thought. Do you guys have any idea how long usually it takes after the finger printing?