50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: DV 2004 - "winner"?

Does anyone have some insight about that?

I got notice that I "won" the DV-2004 (among the 100,000 selected).

1) Is there a need to rush the process (for a matter of first served basis)? Do I have time to consult a lawyer and can send DS 230 and DSP 122 forms to the KCC any time before Oct, 1 or I should start the application right away (in order not to loose my rank, if any, on the list of "winners").

2) It seems that I am eligible for adjustment of status, as I have been previously on B2, J1 not subject to 212E, and currently F1 visas.
    Is it better to adjust status (I live in the US) or to request an appointment abroad? Does it change the chance of getting the green card? Is one way more difficult (given that I am a student on F1 visa)

3) If I don't get a green card, could it (the fact that I applied for an immigrant visa) jeopardize a later renewal of an F1 visa, or a J1? Should I renew my F1 right now (it is going to expire next month, but duration of stay as stated by I-20 is up to 2007)?

4) Do I absolutely need to consult an attorney to *** up the file? I do have assets and real estate in both US and my country of citizenship (but I would have to disclose a joint homosexual ownership for the US part, which I have always been advised not too). I also have a meager income (lecturing) under my F1 visa for at least 3 years.
    Or is the process for a DV "winner" pretty much clear, easy and not really subject to the appreciation of an immigration officer?

I would be glad to hear any thought about that.

Does anyone have some insight about that?

I got notice that I "won" the DV-2004 (among the 100,000 selected).

1) Is there a need to rush the process (for a matter of first served basis)? Do I have time to consult a lawyer and can send DS 230 and DSP 122 forms to the KCC any time before Oct, 1 or I should start the application right away (in order not to loose my rank, if any, on the list of "winners").

2) It seems that I am eligible for adjustment of status, as I have been previously on B2, J1 not subject to 212E, and currently F1 visas.
    Is it better to adjust status (I live in the US) or to request an appointment abroad? Does it change the chance of getting the green card? Is one way more difficult (given that I am a student on F1 visa)

3) If I don't get a green card, could it (the fact that I applied for an immigrant visa) jeopardize a later renewal of an F1 visa, or a J1? Should I renew my F1 right now (it is going to expire next month, but duration of stay as stated by I-20 is up to 2007)?

4) Do I absolutely need to consult an attorney to *** up the file? I do have assets and real estate in both US and my country of citizenship (but I would have to disclose a joint homosexual ownership for the US part, which I have always been advised not too). I also have a meager income (lecturing) under my F1 visa for at least 3 years.
    Or is the process for a DV "winner" pretty much clear, easy and not really subject to the appreciation of an immigration officer?

I would be glad to hear any thought about that.

Don't be a fool and file the DV winner paper work IMMEDIATELY. Participating in the lottery doesn't have any future affect on extending your F1/J1 visas.

You only have the time until the end of September to get scheduled for an interview. You're lucky enough to get a free ride out of the immigration system. Normally it takes YEARS for the unlucky ones to get a green cards after they become eligible.

The paperwork is no brainer (no need to pay for a lawyer) but the lack of time left could jeopardize your chance of obtaining a green card that easily.

If you were in status at the time you won the green card, make sure you maintain that status and I think you will need to file for AOS ASAP.

I think you will be successful. I would hand deliver the paperwork myself and get an estimate of the time it will take at that point and get advice of anything I would need to do.

I would also ask a few lawyers here and there what to do. Would not pay a dime for the advice.

I am in a similar situation but won the DV 2003. I went to the INS immediately (last May) and asked how to adjust status, they said I can only adjust when my visa # becomes available (case # at the bottom left corner of the ivory sheet from KCC). It became available this May so this is when the INS can start reviewing the AOS application. It's not much time till September, but I am still hopeful. Going back to your homecountry for an interview may be a safer way though and I am considering it as well.

Thank you, answers, JOSTO, and Ivan. It seems that I got a good number and my number should be called in November.
    I will recheck with a lawyer, though.