50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: F1 student needs advice

I am enrolled in a schoool studying to become a Montessori Teacher. My visa is dated until 2006 but my I-20 runs out in april 04. I still have one more year to finish my internship & will graduate in july 05. My school does not have a very well adviced foreign advisor & is a little clueless on what to do to apply for new I-20 please could you advice me. Plus when I travelled home in the summer on my return the immigration officer who was friendly & helpful told me that next time I left on my return I would be taking into the immigration office & would fill out new forms? please could you tell me if these are the new student forms & what do I need to take with me from school on proof of studies? I will be leaving in feb 04. thankyou

I am enrolled in a schoool studying to become a Montessori Teacher. My visa is dated until 2006 but my I-20 runs out in april 04. I still have one more year to finish my internship & will graduate in july 05. My school does not have a very well adviced foreign advisor & is a little clueless on what to do to apply for new I-20 please could you advice me. Plus when I travelled home in the summer on my return the immigration officer who was friendly & helpful told me that next time I left on my return I would be taking into the immigration office & would fill out new forms? please could you tell me if these are the new student forms & what do I need to take with me from school on proof of studies? I will be leaving in feb 04. thankyou

Request your foreign student advisor to amend the I-20 to reflect the new date of your studies. Since F-1s are duration of status (D/S) visas, you are in status as long as you remain a full-time student at the school that issued your I-20. The immigration officer probably referred to new paperwork related to SEVIS, the new program to track foreign students. Again, request that your I-20 be amended to reflect new dates.

Thankyou for that advice. Do you also know if when I travel outside of the states in feb 04 when I return through immigration with my new I-20 will I still be asked to go into a room with an officer? what, if you know, is this about & do I need additional paper work from my college? thanks again take care