publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Conditional PR - USC spouse may work overseas for American investment bank?

Hi all - I got my passport stamped 12/16/03 and am wondering how I could quickly maintain my residency to apply for citizenship. I am married to my husband (USC) for only a year so I got the "conditional" PR status - meaning I will be able to remove the "conditional" status by 12/16/05.

My husband may have an opportunity to work in the country where I'm from by transferring internally to its international office - would this affect my immigration status when (1)by end of 2005 I need to petition to remove my conditional status (2)would this affect my residency requirement - I remember seeing some "exceptions" for maintaining residency in the US - is working for an American investment bank overseas qualified? (3) how often do I need to come back to the US to "prove" that I am not giving up my PR status? (4) I talked to an immigration officer and she mentioned to apply for REENTRY PERMIT. Anymore familiar with this?

Thank you so much. I am sorry this is complicated, b/c it really is!! :-) I am so not willing to give up the opportunity to live closer to my family but I also don't want it to jeopardize my immigration status!!

Thanks!

Hi all - I got my passport stamped 12/16/03 and am wondering how I could quickly maintain my residency to apply for citizenship. I am married to my husband (USC) for only a year so I got the "conditional" PR status - meaning I will be able to remove the "conditional" status by 12/16/05.

My husband may have an opportunity to work in the country where I'm from by transferring internally to its international office - would this affect my immigration status when (1)by end of 2005 I need to petition to remove my conditional status (2)would this affect my residency requirement - I remember seeing some "exceptions" for maintaining residency in the US - is working for an American investment bank overseas qualified? (3) how often do I need to come back to the US to "prove" that I am not giving up my PR status? (4) I talked to an immigration officer and she mentioned to apply for REENTRY PERMIT. Anymore familiar with this?

Thank you so much. I am sorry this is complicated, b/c it really is!! :-) I am so not willing to give up the opportunity to live closer to my family but I also don't want it to jeopardize my immigration status!!

Thanks!

As long your husband gets an military ID card. That means, you can go into the PX, US gas station a.s.o. If a ID card will be provided its like living in little USA in Germany. So you're not giving up your status. You have to let the INS know where you will going and the INS process goes from there.

Try to call the INS again, maybe you'll get the same answer (about reentry), maybe a different one. Don't count on a INS officer

A reentry permit allows you to remain outside the US, and retain your CPR status while you are abroad. You must apply for the reentry permit while you are in the US; however, you can leave the US before it is issued. (BCIS can mail it to a family member in the US, or to an attorney.) You apply by filing Form I-131 with the Nebraska Service Center. (You can find the form and instructions on the USCIS website.) If you get a reentry permit, and remain married to your husband, you will be eligible to have the condition removed.

Also, because you have not been a permanent resident for at least one year, you are not eligible to file Form N-470 to preserve your residence for naturalization. (It's also unclear if you would be eligble, because the N-470 applies to individuals who are sent abroad to work on behalf of a US company; it's unclear if it would apply to a spouse of a worker sent abroad.)