ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page


Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney

CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network

EB-5

移民日报

About ILW.COM

Connect to us

Make us Homepage

Questions/Comments


SUBSCRIBE



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What if my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers?

  1. #1

    What if my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers?

    I've been in the USA for three months on a tourist visa. I'm going to change my intent because I want to marry my boyfriend. I'm worried that my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers.

    We have been separated for 7 years. I have suffered physical and emotional abuse as well as being cheated on. Is there a way to get him to sign? I think he's doing this out of spite. Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    I've been in the USA for three months on a tourist visa. I'm going to change my intent because I want to marry my boyfriend. I'm worried that my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers.

    We have been separated for 7 years. I have suffered physical and emotional abuse as well as being cheated on. Is there a way to get him to sign? I think he's doing this out of spite. Thank you in advance.
    In the US, one party of the marriage can unilaterally divorce without agreement from the other side.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    In the US, one party of the marriage can unilaterally divorce without agreement from the other side.
    Even if the marriage was in the Philippines and the country does not recognize divorce?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    Even if the marriage was in the Philippines and the country does not recognize divorce?
    Yes. As long as she lives here, she can file divorce here.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    Yes. As long as she lives here, she can file divorce here.
    Thank you.. you have been very helpful.

  6. #6
    So if someone decides to divorce here, wouldn't the court system try to reach out to her estranged husband overseas? If they do reach out to him, what if he disagrees?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pkumar View Post
    So if someone decides to divorce here, wouldn't the court system try to reach out to her estranged husband overseas? If they do reach out to him, what if he disagrees?
    Yes, you need to try to reach him. It's better if you can find him.

    It doesn't matter if he disagrees; he can't stop it. The court will settle any issues with finances and custody, etc.

Similar Threads

  1. wife + cosponsor sign I864: must husband also sign?
    By ady in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
  2. nervous about estranged immigrant husband
    By jett in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
  3. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
  4. Husband seized papers.HELP
    By bose in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:01 AM
  5. divorce papers
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 08:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: