free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: my husband refuse to file citizenship for me

my husband refuse to file citizenship for me

I am a permanent residence from 10/2011 , I am eligible for citizenship now but my husband refuse to file it with me , even we are living together and we tow children . can I apply for a citizenship without him ? or what should I do?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lolamudy View Post
    I am a permanent residence from 10/2011 , I am eligible for citizenship now but my husband refuse to file it with me , even we are living together and we tow children . can I apply for a citizenship without him ? or what should I do?

Thank you
    Naturalization is something you apply for yourself. Your husband does not "file with you".

Quote Originally Posted by lolamudy View Post

Thank you
    Helo Lolamudy,
    Technically, you submit the N400 with just your signature and is not signed jointly with your spouse. If you are married to a US Citizen and meet the other eligibility rules, you can apply after obtaiing permenant residenty for 3 years. There are questions about your husband such as name, date of birth, employment, etc. If your husband is not willing to provide you with the information, then you can wait to the 5 year mark and apply for citizenship then. Just be patient and I hope all works out between you and your husband.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

citizenship

I have 3 years with my green card but my husband abandoned me. Can a apply for citizenship by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FRANCRENE View Post
    I have 3 years with my green card but my husband abandoned me. Can a apply for citizenship by myself.
    If you have your husband's information, then yes, you can file now. Your husband's information would be his name, his SSN, place of employment, etc. If you do not have that information, then you will need to wait 5 years and apply based solely on your own merits whether you are married to him or not.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    If you have your husband's information, then yes, you can file now. Your husband's information would be his name, his SSN, place of employment, etc. If you do not have that information, then you will need to wait 5 years and apply based solely on your own merits whether you are married to him or not.
    N-400 asks for spouse's information without regards to whether the person is applying under the 3-year or 5-year rule.

Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    N-400 asks for spouse's information without regards to whether the person is applying under the 3-year or 5-year rule.
    that is true, but you also have to look at part 1 on which requirement the OP meets and in part VII, question 1, whether she chooses married or seperated. Even though the OP has stated she is with her husband now, there is a possibility that the OP may be seperated, or will be seperated before the filing of Form N400. It would be easier for the OP to file the N400 indicating that she meets the three year rule and is married and living with her husband who is also a US citizen. But the OP could choose the 5 year rule, be seperated from the spouse, and file the N400 under the 5 year requirement rule.