50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Married to USC but still illegal

Hi, I need advice from anyone.I've been here in this country for 15 years now.Married a USC, with 2 kids but my status is still in limbo. This is what happened to us. We processed my papers by ourselves, we didn't know what we were doing at that time. Because I entered illegally,they wanted us to file for waiver of inadmissability.I didn't know what this means, I thought they might deport me right away if they deny my appeal, so we never submit that form. Do you think my papers are still there if I want to reopen my case, or should I just re-apply again.My petition was already approved, in fact I had the visa # already. Can I apply for work permit since I am a U.S. licensed R.N. A lot of hospitals are willing to hire me but I only need the work authorization.
    I finally decided to hire a lawyer but he charged me $7,000.00; $4,000.00 for deposit so he can start processing my papers right away. We don't have this much money since my husband has been unemployed for 1 year now. We are now close to being evicted by our landlord, I wish I could just work and end up our misery. I know I could make money right away. Please help!!!!!

Hi, I need advice from anyone.I've been here in this country for 15 years now.Married a USC, with 2 kids but my status is still in limbo. This is what happened to us. We processed my papers by ourselves, we didn't know what we were doing at that time. Because I entered illegally,they wanted us to file for waiver of inadmissability.I didn't know what this means, I thought they might deport me right away if they deny my appeal, so we never submit that form. Do you think my papers are still there if I want to reopen my case, or should I just re-apply again.My petition was already approved, in fact I had the visa # already. Can I apply for work permit since I am a U.S. licensed R.N. A lot of hospitals are willing to hire me but I only need the work authorization.
    I finally decided to hire a lawyer but he charged me $7,000.00; $4,000.00 for deposit so he can start processing my papers right away. We don't have this much money since my husband has been unemployed for 1 year now. We are now close to being evicted by our landlord, I wish I could just work and end up our misery. I know I could make money right away. Please help!!!!!

Hi. I don't really know that much about your situation, but I am under the impression that you are in a very good situation for beign granted permanent residency, you may be eligible based solely on the length of time that you have been here, or at the very least you are right in saying that you would be an asset to the country as an RN.

I would suggest that you call a number of lawyers to ask for some basic advice (they won't talk to you for long, but they may give you a clue) then settle on one that is very very good. (i.e. someone that may charge a ridiculous amount of money per hour - i.e. 200-300 dollars) and meet with them to get an idea of exactly what they recomend, what you should do, etc. etc. etc. get as much information as you can from them.

From there you can make the best decision about what you should do (and if you decide that you do need a lawyer later it may help you to know who to choose)

Also, check with the catholic church in your area. They are generally pro-immigration and they may be able to recommend pro bono lawyers to you or other sevices that may be able to aid you.

Somebody, thank you for giving me hope.

you are is good position to open your case. your file will be in INS record. if not then INS will ask you the copy of you file ,if you decided to open your case.
    Under Section 8 CFR 212 (g) (h) and (i) attorney general can waive and permit on his discretion for the person who is continuously in the country for more then 10 years and have spouse. parents/child of USC,And have not commit any crime. and have wealth earn within period.also hardship to the USC dep.
    you can file motion to reopen you case in BIA. Still you have fill form of inadmisiblity

Thanks, Mohan you seem very knowledgeable. The problem my husband was unemployed since Sept. of last year. We did have a good life pre 9/11 but our lifestyle had change dramatically. We don't have wealth if INS will ask us but I could work as RN if given a chance. Can we apply for temporary work permit while waiting to reopen my case? How much do you think a lawyer will charge us.Thank you so much.

No it will not be issued to you while waiting.