publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: INS problem, SAMMY, MOHAN, UMESH, experts, can you help?

Guys, you seem to be the expert here. Please help me with this question (it bugs me and knowing the answer would help me in some decisions). My girlfriend came here in the US some 2 yrs ago. 5 months after her visa expired, she applied for asylum. However she applied in California, where she knew a lawyer and she had friends. She was living there for a short time after her arrival then she moved to NY. She gave the INS the address of her friend in Californa as permanent address. That was the address where she received her invitation for the interview. She went to the interview in California, but they rescheduled it because she has not received the fingerprint forms. So after she received them she went to do the fingerprints, but because the form was unreadable, she went there on the wrong date (a week later than the deadline). Then she was called for a second interview, which was held. (Meanwhile she was living in NY and traveling back and forth.) Then she had to go back 2 weeks later to get the results, but they told her that the results will arive in mail. This was more than a year ago. Than a couple months ago she got a fingerprint request so she went again to Calif. to get it done. Then a couple of days ago the INS called her lawyer in California and asked him to bring my girlfriend for "questioning" about her address. The problem is that she never changed her address to the NY address because she did not want her file to be moved out of the California jurisdiction, and also because she wanted to move back to California as soon as possible. In addition, we did not know about the address change requirement (however we notified the asylum office when her friend-where the INS mail was always sent-changed her address, but we never sent and address change form in about the NY address, because we thought that the Calif. address is her permanent address and the NY one is a temporary address.) She has a valid California driver licence with the mailing address, and the INS is asking now to prove that that is the address where she is living. The only proof other than the INS correspondence is that driver licence. So what do you think? Shoul she stick to that address? She filed NY taxes twice and has been in California some 8 times for a couple of days each (maybe a week longest). Please let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance.

[This message was edited by Yaman on July 28, 2003 at 08:02 PM.]

Guys, you seem to be the expert here. Please help me with this question (it bugs me and knowing the answer would help me in some decisions). My girlfriend came here in the US some 2 yrs ago. 5 months after her visa expired, she applied for asylum. However she applied in California, where she knew a lawyer and she had friends. She was living there for a short time after her arrival then she moved to NY. She gave the INS the address of her friend in Californa as permanent address. That was the address where she received her invitation for the interview. She went to the interview in California, but they rescheduled it because she has not received the fingerprint forms. So after she received them she went to do the fingerprints, but because the form was unreadable, she went there on the wrong date (a week later than the deadline). Then she was called for a second interview, which was held. (Meanwhile she was living in NY and traveling back and forth.) Then she had to go back 2 weeks later to get the results, but they told her that the results will arive in mail. This was more than a year ago. Than a couple months ago she got a fingerprint request so she went again to Calif. to get it done. Then a couple of days ago the INS called her lawyer in California and asked him to bring my girlfriend for "questioning" about her address. The problem is that she never changed her address to the NY address because she did not want her file to be moved out of the California jurisdiction, and also because she wanted to move back to California as soon as possible. In addition, we did not know about the address change requirement (however we notified the asylum office when her friend-where the INS mail was always sent-changed her address, but we never sent and address change form in about the NY address, because we thought that the Calif. address is her permanent address and the NY one is a temporary address.) She has a valid California driver licence with the mailing address, and the INS is asking now to prove that that is the address where she is living. The only proof other than the INS correspondence is that driver licence. So what do you think? Shoul she stick to that address? She filed NY taxes twice and has been in California some 8 times for a couple of days each (maybe a week longest). Please let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance.

[This message was edited by Yaman on July 28, 2003 at 08:02 PM.]