50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Travelling after adjustment of status

I got adjustment of status for permanent residence in USA few days ago (RELATIVE PETITION 245, 485).INS put a red colour stamp on my passport saying" PROCESSED FOR I-551 TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE VALID UNTIL AUG.06
    2003.EMPLOYMENT AUTHORISED"
    The officer told me this stamp on passport would work as temporary card and document for travelling purpose until i get my permanent card from Texas which may take 6-12 months .
    I want to travel India very soon ,can I face any trouble while coming back to U S A ?
    One of my friend travelled India last month in same situation,he had to face lots of difficulties while coming back to U S.
    First of all Airline in India did not allow him to board with this evidence ,he had to obtain a validity of this document from U S Embassy before he could board.
    After arriving at Miami he was detained for questioning for 17 hours and finally INS
    let him enter.
    Do you have any suggestion so I do'nt have to go through all these ? Is above reffered stamp on passport a valid travelling document ? or I need any other supportive document?
    All my family is here ,can Immigration officer deny my entry at airport
    since I do'nt have permanent card yet?
    Yours sincely
    Singh

I got adjustment of status for permanent residence in USA few days ago (RELATIVE PETITION 245, 485).INS put a red colour stamp on my passport saying" PROCESSED FOR I-551 TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE VALID UNTIL AUG.06
    2003.EMPLOYMENT AUTHORISED"
    The officer told me this stamp on passport would work as temporary card and document for travelling purpose until i get my permanent card from Texas which may take 6-12 months .
    I want to travel India very soon ,can I face any trouble while coming back to U S A ?
    One of my friend travelled India last month in same situation,he had to face lots of difficulties while coming back to U S.
    First of all Airline in India did not allow him to board with this evidence ,he had to obtain a validity of this document from U S Embassy before he could board.
    After arriving at Miami he was detained for questioning for 17 hours and finally INS
    let him enter.
    Do you have any suggestion so I do'nt have to go through all these ? Is above reffered stamp on passport a valid travelling document ? or I need any other supportive document?
    All my family is here ,can Immigration officer deny my entry at airport
    since I do'nt have permanent card yet?
    Yours sincely
    Singh

That stamp is as good as the green card itself. You can travel on it. I don't know why your friend was detained in Miami because the INS officers know exactly what that stamp means. As far as the airline in India, they probably didn't know that that stamp was as good as the green card.
    So many airlines don't have a clue about the green cards. I was given a lot of trouble when I travelled on an AP. The lady behind the counter embarrassed me in front of everyone and said "fine if you think you can come back in the US with this..." .

If you can wait for your green card, then wait. You may be surprised and get your card sooner than expected.

You mean even with Green Card I will have trouble traveling? So what is safe document to have?

It is much better to have a passport

Lately, there a lot of stories of the same nature.This stamped I-551 used to be the main document to show legitimacy of residency.This is no longer the case as the "red stamped" in the PP can be forged easily.The best way to avoid possible delay on this matter,if not inconvenience, is to bring other documents,state IDs or driver's license and other INS documents you had received in the past particulary AP,I-485 approval,EADs and maybe letter from employer.
    Prepare these documents and most old timer airline employees are familiar to this situation.If you encounter something like this request for the the more senior staff or steward/ess and things will be OK.
    Understandably, even USC get some problems even if they have authentic passport.The political scenario has change and INS zero tolerance is being implemented so that's explain why.

Singh Sab!

You are such a gandu!
    Do not try this fake green card stuff in our country!
    We will bust you back to Punjab on the next shit-bucket flight to your rat-assed country!

Chupkar gandu!

No, the stamp is NOT a fake green card. It works just as well as your card.

You will not have any trouble when you have your real card.

When i travelled with my AP, advance parole, i had trouble. AP is NOT a green card, it's just a paper saying I can come leave and come back while my petition is pending.

My point was that sometimes unless it's a clear and cut green card, people don't understand.

And you always need a passport when you are going overseas.

My situation is the same as Singh's passport, though, I don't have any problem when I came back to the U.S. nor the country I visited in the arrival and departure. However, I was traveling with my husband at that time. My question is I applied my I-551 on August of 2000 and I received a reply that it will take 360 days to process. On January of 2002 I went to INS office to extend my stamp in my passport since the stamp is only good for one year and I also asked the immigration officer about my green card status, she said according to the computer that I was approved on November of 2001 but it did not show in the computer wether they mail my 10 year green card or hold it or return to them in case I did not received it in my current address. She said I should receive it within 3 or 6 months from January of 2001. Would this be possible that I get approved but there is no way to tell where or what happened to my green card? I asked her this questions but she said she can not answer me and her suggestion is to WAIT! It's been 7 months now since I talk to that lady. She gave me a form of inquiry about status of I-551 I sent this form every month without receiving any response in California Service Center, I certified all my mail to INS, I only received the return card from the postal that the INS received my mail. All your suggestions is appreciated.