50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: moving while having my conditional status removed

I am a (conditional) permanent resident. I am seriously thinking about going back to school in near future, for which I will probably have to move to another state. Here is my concern: I will have to have my conditional status removed next spring. I am aware that the process may take a very long time, and while I am waiting for the status to be removed, I might have to move far to start school, (still within US but to another region). Has anyone gone though similar experience? Is it possible to transfer my file to another regional office after I start the process of removing my conditional status? If anyone can give me some advice, that would help me a lot!

I am a (conditional) permanent resident. I am seriously thinking about going back to school in near future, for which I will probably have to move to another state. Here is my concern: I will have to have my conditional status removed next spring. I am aware that the process may take a very long time, and while I am waiting for the status to be removed, I might have to move far to start school, (still within US but to another region). Has anyone gone though similar experience? Is it possible to transfer my file to another regional office after I start the process of removing my conditional status? If anyone can give me some advice, that would help me a lot!

You can file I-751 ninety days prior to your expiry of conditional GC period of two years. If after calculating your time, you feel that by the time you will join your school/College you will still have time to apply for I-751 then you should wait. If you donot have that time then you should send your I-751 and after you move you should file AR-11 for change of address and also write a letter to BCIS to transfer your file to concerned District office.
    Good luck.

Lobelia, just know that if you move your case to another district, it will significantly delay your case because you will join the line at the end and start the wait all over again. If I were you, I would wait then after am done with BCIS, go to school. BCIS is one one group of people you wanna be done with ASAP.

Dear Umesh Passi and Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Ok,just to clarify, I do not have to apply for the removal of conditional status exactly 90days prior to the 2nd year anniversary, correct? If everything goes as I hope with school admission, I should have about 20 days after I move to a new city and before my conditional green card expires. Would that be enough time if I apply on the day I move to a new city (most likely in California)? Or, I can apply in my current district earlier then ask BCIS to transfer my file. Thanks, Hello to give me your concern about the waiting time. I am okay to wait as long as I can get GC eventually and as long as I know other people have done it. Can you, Umesh Passi, give a quick reply to my questions (about the 90 days rule and whether 20 days is enough to receive the extension before my conditional GC expires)? Thanks a lot!

OK first of all you have ton apply WITHIN the 90 days because you need to understand that when BCIS receives your application, they check whether you are within the 90 days, if not your papers will be sent to you (denied) and you will have lost your $145 application fee. Also, keep in mind that the process may take you a year for you to get a decision. One thing I learny with BCIS is that the moving thing is not a big deal, as long as you dont ask them to move your file. I was living in Boston when I started by process then when I moved to Carolinas I sent the AR11 but I did not move my file. So when it came to interview, I flew to Boston and I did not have a problem with it coz I know someone whose file was lost during the transfer process and it took them 2 years to trace where it was exactly.
    So, please avoid asking for transfer of files. I dont think theres a rule that you cannot attend interview in a different distrcit because the ladt at the interview just asked for our air tickets and made copies and filed them, but did not say that I should not have come to the Boston office.
    Umesh Passi please comment.

I had the name Lobelia in mind when I typed in the name. Should be Hello and not Lobelia on the name.

Hi, Hello. Thanks for the reply. You said you did not ask BCIS to move your file to the new Service Center (it would be TSC for Carolinas, correct?), how did that work? Did you still informed BCIS of your new address in Carolinas? Were they okay sending materials to your new address even though it is not part of the VSC district? I'm in Boston right now and if I can just fly back to Boston with my husband for the interview after we move, that would be so much easier! I just didn't realize that I don't "have to" transfer my files to new service center. Am I thinking right? -- Thanks!

Yes you dont have to ask them to transfer files. I came from here in Carolinas and came to the JFK bldg for the interview. I did not ask them to transfer my file. The Boston office is exteremely efficient esp when it comes to the Vermont service center coz when we flew back here, my G'CARD was here in like 2 weeks and I was shocked how they did that. If I were you, I would move, then in the 10 days they require send them the change of location, but dont mention anything about transfer of case, then wait and see what they do, because thats how I did it and they never told me anything, esp if you are also dealing with the Boston office. Note that transfer of file is an action on your case and I dont think they can just move your file unless you ask them, as long as you were in the service area when you filed the case.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will print this out and keep it in my file cabinet along with other immigration documents. I am going to go with the assumption that I can file for the removal of conditional status in the spring here in Boston and when we have to move in summer, I'll just have to inform BCIS of our new address in another state.