50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: V Visa

I am a Legal Resident and i filed an I-130 for my wife two years ago. My question is will she be eligible for V visa after three years or is that only for people who filed before December 2000? I got married in March, 2001. Thanks.

I am a Legal Resident and i filed an I-130 for my wife two years ago. My question is will she be eligible for V visa after three years or is that only for people who filed before December 2000? I got married in March, 2001. Thanks.

She will be eligible after three years of sponsorship. She will receive V Visa papers either from NVC or Consulate by mail.

Question,

V visa is only for people who filed I 130s before Dec 21, 2000.

Sorry - I am in the same position as you and my best choice is to become a U.S. citizen as soon as possible.

The INS rule follows:-

The spouse or unmarried child (under 21 years of age) of a lawful permanent resident is eligible for the V nonimmigrant classification, if he/she:

Had a Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) filed with the INS on his or her behalf by the lawful permanent resident spouse or parent on or before December 21, 2000; and
    Has been waiting for at least three years after the Form I-130 was filed for their immigrant status -- either because a visa number (priority date) has not yet become available, or because INS has not yet adjudicated the Form I-130 or the Form I-485 (Application for Adjustment to Permanent Residence).

When a LPR files I-130 for his/her spouse or unmarried children and Visa date is not current in 3 years of filing. The beneficiary is entitled for V Visa.

Now i'm confused. Who is right? Will my wife be qualified after three years although we filed after December 2000.

Congress is right. They makes the rules and the INS carries them out.

I just hope that this year Congress will change the V visa rule when they finally get around to fixing up the illegal immigrant mess.