ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



Immigration Daily


The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
© 1995-
Immigration LLC.

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mom coming to visit me to the US - please help

  1. #1
    I am a BFA student at a US college in Georgia.
    My mom wants to come to visit me from Croatia
    for about 2 weeks in august. However I am worried
    that she won't be able to get a visa.

    She is employed in Croatia as a high school
    professor and owns a house.
    Can anyone give me any advices on how to bring
    her over to the US for 2 weeks. Is the college
    supposed to help with her visa application?

  2. #2
    what is your status?

    What kind of visa did you have (or do you have)? tourist or student?

  3. #3
    OF COURSE she has a student visa!!!!!!!!!!!

    Does she need to repeat herself?

  4. #4
    Right now I want to sh"¢ve my dirty little finger in your mum's big fatso a$$... but I can't.
    Feel offended?
    Wake up and smell the coffee, stupid.

  5. #5
    This was a serious question, so I'll just ignore
    the stupid comments.
    Yes, I hold a valid F1 visa and am in status.

  6. #6
    If your mom is able to prove strong ties to Croatia, she shouldtn have any problems getting the Visa.

    While trying to obtain a visa, I would suggest as much documentation as you can to show that your mom will not stay here forever. Also a good bank statement. To prove she wont try to eg twork and can afford her trip.

    Your Acedemic record will also help!

  7. #7
    to "Of Course" -- please reread her first post - did she state that she had a student visa? (hint: no)
    Many people have told a story to the embassy about needing a tourist visa and then use it to change status quickly to a student and then never return to their country. So, "Of Course", my question was valid.
    to Student: your mom needs to demonstrate to the embassy that there are more reasons for her to return to Croatia than to remain in the US. Merely presenting a bank statement will not be sufficient.
    Is she still married? Does she have other children living in Croatia (or elsewhere?)

    Probably due to her position as you described and assuming that her entire family is not living in the US now, she would probably be a strong favorite to receive a tourist visa.
    The college cannot do anything to influence the embassy's decision, however.

  8. #8
    OF COURSE she has a student visa!!!!!!!!!!!

    Does she need to repeat herself?

  9. #9
    Oh well guess I can only hope the people at the
    embassy can see she has absolutely no intention
    to stay in the US.
    She is divorced, 52 y old and has no other children.
    I contacted the Int. Student Office at my school
    and they say they'll mail her a letter where
    they will explain my enrollement at the college etc. which she can take to the embassy.
    That, proof she has been working as a professor
    for 25 years, house she owns and bank statement
    is what she will bring to the embassy.

    There is one small detail; my father works at
    a US cruise ship company and holds some special
    sailor visa. Hope this won't get into the way.

  10. #10
    your father's situation is not likely to matter since they are divorced - but you being the only child in the US may. Why? Because the embassy looks at both economic, social and familial ties to a country. Your mom's age and long term employment may be a big plus. Overall it sounds more favorable than not.
    Though the college may write a letter, it will not have any impact on the embassy's decision - why? Because the college has no control over your mother once she enters the US and neither do you. The college cannot legally force you to force your mother to leave the US after a visit either.
    So such letters have little value. On the plus side however, is the fact that you obtained a student visa - meaning you did things the right way in order to come to the US and study. That may carry a lot of weight. Anyway, good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM
  2. Getting Mom to the US
    By UWMadison in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 02:43 PM
  3. invite my mom to visit me Im a resident
    By Mrwww in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 06:28 PM
  4. I need Help for my Mom/Brother
    By Annabelle in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 11:20 AM
  5. out-of-status mom
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2002, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: