free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strip Lawyer From The Right To Practice

My stupid and crazy lawyer withdrew my application for change of status from visitor's to student's. He pretended there were no chances that it'd be approved from INS and he wanted me to apply for the student visa from outside of the U.S. This was just a justification, because he knew full well that because my authorized period of stay had expired I could not get back to the U.S. again. I consulted another immigration lawyer and she told me to override his withdrawl by signing an affidavit stating that my previous attorney had proceeded without my permission. When I told him that I wanted all the paperwork he had already on my application because I was going to override his withdrawal, he went crazy and told me that should I do it I would run severe consequences. According to him, INS would be notified of my illegal presence in the U.S. because it was more probable than not that my change of status would not be approved. He did not gave me back the documentation and I become illegal. Three months ago I received my green card after having my USC hubby petition for me. Now I want to report this lawyer to the agency overseeing the attorneys' conduct of the State Supreme Court. Does anyone have experience in these matters? I plan also to file a complaint with other government agencies because he threatened me through an acquantance of mine that he'd sent me to jail. I have quite a bit of information regarding his conduct in immigration matters and the aliens he smuggles into the country. I guess that should give enough reason to the Attorney Regulatory agency to at least strip him of his right to practice jurisprudence, if not charge with a crime.

My stupid and crazy lawyer withdrew my application for change of status from visitor's to student's. He pretended there were no chances that it'd be approved from INS and he wanted me to apply for the student visa from outside of the U.S. This was just a justification, because he knew full well that because my authorized period of stay had expired I could not get back to the U.S. again. I consulted another immigration lawyer and she told me to override his withdrawl by signing an affidavit stating that my previous attorney had proceeded without my permission. When I told him that I wanted all the paperwork he had already on my application because I was going to override his withdrawal, he went crazy and told me that should I do it I would run severe consequences. According to him, INS would be notified of my illegal presence in the U.S. because it was more probable than not that my change of status would not be approved. He did not gave me back the documentation and I become illegal. Three months ago I received my green card after having my USC hubby petition for me. Now I want to report this lawyer to the agency overseeing the attorneys' conduct of the State Supreme Court. Does anyone have experience in these matters? I plan also to file a complaint with other government agencies because he threatened me through an acquantance of mine that he'd sent me to jail. I have quite a bit of information regarding his conduct in immigration matters and the aliens he smuggles into the country. I guess that should give enough reason to the Attorney Regulatory agency to at least strip him of his right to practice jurisprudence, if not charge with a crime.

It looks like things are more complicated that a change of status application being withdrawn...

Should you decide to file unethical practice of your lawyer's conduct you need to file through ethics committee of the State bar.Note however, you can only focus on your own case and not the other things you mention which might be consider as mere hearsay since you are not privy or part of the allegation of unlawful practices like "human smuggling" and other things you mention.Now that you have your GC, maybe you have more guts to fight back.Wishing you all the best.

Do I have a chance to strip a licenced immigration lawyer From The Right To Practice and his licence if we expired my visa, refused to file for a visa transfer and gave a recommendation to my employer to hire me without visa and lied about my GC?
    How can I sue my H1B employer for being paid below a prevailing wage for 6 years? He applied for H1B but H1B was never stamped. I am illegaly here.

As I see it, your former lawyer is not trustworthy, his intention is to make you as his sugar mommy.

Many years ago, I filed a case against my lawyer here in the State Bar of California for unethical practice. My contract with this lawyer was to represent me in court for $5000.00. In the meantime, while the matter was still in the police hand, he asked for a down payment of $1,500.00, as deposit and then,I have to pay him $50.00 per hour to represent me in the police inquiry. That was our oral contract. I trusted him because he is my friend. After 2 hours of his represention in the police, the police declared a lack of evidence.

So, I asked him to return to me the rest of the money but he refused, so I went to the State Bar.

Defense of the Attorney was that the moeny wa not adeposit but a retainer's fee. So its my word against his and I lost.

The moral of the story is, Lawyers protect its own kind.

Anyway, if you have a strong evidence, by all means, go ahead. Anything you can substantiate including human smuggling, file a case for unethical malpractice against this lawyer to put a stop on his unethical practice. State Bar is an adminstrative body and the Rules of Court procedures are not strickly applied.

Do not be afraid to exercise your right, justice is no your side.

Good luck.

Mr.Red,

I must admit the above-mentioned is the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Frank, many immigration lawyers do that to suit to unscrupulous practices of big businesses...it is definitely an illegal thing to do, but you know, those scum of lawyers know aliens cannot complain, at least just because they are illegally in the U.S. The problem is that Attorney Disciplinary Commissions usually do not accept anonymous complaints. Check out other government agencies (they may or may not accept anonymous complaints)

Bugsy, I am aware that the Attorneys' Regulatory Commission may not want to consider other unscrupulous actions of this lawyer, but isn't it that in that case the case would be much stronger? (BTW, I have first-hand information that he files fraudulent petitions on behalf of "nurses" from Philipines coming to work supposedly for a nursing-home - in fact they engage in other less-than-legal activities.) And yes, you are right, now I am in a much better position to take revenge upon this lawyer. In fact, it was my American husband that gave me the mental force to go ahead and report him, I must admit aliens are a bit vulnerable when it comes to these issues. At any rate, I am doing this for two reasons:

1. I had a terrible time (3 years) after I fell out-of-status, not being able to get a decent job. After I met my husband it was him that supported me financially. I love him and he obviously loves me, but you know, I do not want to be depend for money on someone else, even if this 'someone else' is somebody you love. I am angry that I was not able to work during those three years, because of the fault of this mean lawyer. And I loved school, I was about to complete my master's, but this jerk of a lawyer said me that the only reason that I was going to school was that I would not remain illegally in the U.S. after my tourist visa status would expire.

2. I feel that this lawyer does not deserve to practice jurisprudence because he would do the same thing to other people in the future. In fact, he may have already done it to many others, and perhaps they were not able to figure out what was happening with their immigration problems. That is what he thought would be the case with me as well, that I would not be able to understand his maneuvers and would keep my mouth shut because of my illegal presence in the States.

You know, there may be many other unscrupulous lawyers out there, that do these things regularly and get away with it. He may be just one of them; but hey, perhaps the other ones would come to understand that we, aliens, are not that naive as they want us to be, when they will see this malicious and stupid lawyer being disbarred and hopefully charged and convicted for the crimes he has committed!

fullwell, you may also report him anonymously to the FBI, for instance, giving them an overview of the issues, they accept these types of reports (in distinction the the lawyers' committee you are saying it does not.) They may not initiate action themselves, but may well refer the case to some other law enforcement agency, and you bet the other agency would be much more inclined to investigate your lawyer and charge him...Good Luck.