I-94 Frequently Asked Questions


What information can I obtain from the website?


The I-94 website provides you with the most recent I-94 admission record and limited travel history. The most recent I-94 admission record can be printed and used as evidence of a lawful admission. The website will provide arrival and departure date information for a passport number for the past five years. Travel history will only be provided for the passport number entered for the search.

Where does the travel history come from?


CBP maintains arrival records in the Nonimmigrant Information System (NIIS).

What records can I access?


NIIS maintains arrival and departure records. The I-94 website will provide the arrival/departure date and port of entry/exit for the passport entered into the query. The website will provide records for the past five years.

Can I obtain travel records for previous or expired passports?


Yes. The website will provide travel history going back five years. If you would like to obtain information on an older or expired passport, you must conduct a query on that passport.

Why do I need my travel history?


All information obtained from the website must be used for official purposes. You may need your travel history if you are trying to obtain benefits, whether with CIS or another agency.

What is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request?


A FOIA request is a written or electronic request received by CBP from any individual or entity requesting records including databases held or believed to be held by an agency. You can find additional information about FOIA and FOIA requests at http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia.

I have already filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) for my travel history. What do I need to do?


If you have filed a request under FOIA with CBP and the information provided by the I-94 website satisfies that request, you can request a FOIA cancellation by submitting your FOIA number on the Get Travel History portion of the I-94 website.

What is a FOIA number?


CBP provides a case number to each FOIA request submitted. The case numbers begin with CBP and are followed by the year submitted and 6 alphanumeric characters (e.g. CBP-2014-XXXXXX).

What information must I provide?


The following information is required to retrieve your I-94 information. Enter the information as it appears on the travel document you used to enter the United States.

Sample passport containing Country of Issuance, Passport Number, Last/Surname, First (Given) Name, Birth Date, and highlighting the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ)

Where the name format is ambiguous on a passport, the Machine Readable Zone at the base of the details page should be referenced. These will always follow the ISO standard convention.

  1. Last/Surname- Enter your family name as it appears in the Last Name or Surname field on the travel document you used to enter the United States. If there is any concern about the name to use - please refer to the Machine Readable Zone on the passport. That is in most cases the name that will be used.

  2. First (Given) Name- Enter your first (given) name as it appears in the First or Given Name field on the travel document you used to enter the United States. Do not include middle names, nicknames, or titles.
  3. Birth Date- Enter the date of your birth.

  4. Passport Number- Enter your passport number as it appears on your passport biographic page. The passport number may contain numbers and/or letters. Please closely distinguish between the two. Some commonly confused characters are the number zero (0) and letter 'O' and the number one (1), and the letters 'I'. When seeking travel history, you must enter the passport number you wish to obtain the history from. The website will only provide the history of the passport number entered.

  5. Country of Issuance- The passport country of issuance is your country of citizenship as it appears on your passport. The country of citizenship on your passport is the passport issuing authority, regardless of the country the passport was physically obtained in.

Will CBP provide a traveler with any documentation or evidence showing status and time allowed in the U.S.?


Yes. CBP will provide each traveler with an admission stamp that is annotated with date of admission, class of admission and admitted until date. The CBP admission stamp is listed as an alien registration document found in 8 CFR. 264.1.

How long will my admission record be available on the I-94 website?


A traveler will have access to their most recent admission record on the I-94 website. The availability of the record does not convey legal authority to remain in the United States outside of the terms and conditions of admission. All travelers must comply with the terms of the classification granted and admitted until date.

Will the I-94 automation process help eliminate errors? If information on the I-94 is in error, how does the traveler correct mistakes?


The electronic version of the I-94 will help eliminate errors because the information will be obtained by official documents and officer input. If there is an error or mistake on the paper or electronic form I-94, the traveler can contact the Deferred Inspection office closest to their location.

What should a traveler do if he or she was admitted incorrectly to the United States?


If a traveler was admitted incorrectly to the United States, the traveler should visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site or Port of Entry (POE) to have his or her admission corrected. A list of Deferred Inspection Sites and POEs can be found on CBP's website, www.cbp.gov, under the "Ports" link at the bottom of the page. If a traveler was issued an incorrect I-94 by USCIS, the traveler should refer to the Form I-102, which can be found at www.uscis.gov/forms.

How do I report my departure if I enter via air and depart via land?


If you have a paper form I-94 and depart by land, you can turn the form into Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) upon entry into Canada or to CBP at the port of entry prior to entering Mexico. If you received an electronic I-94 upon arrival by air or sea and depart via land, your departure may not be recorded accurately. A departure will be recorded if you depart via land and re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped in your passport. If you are not a resident of Canada or Mexico and you receive an electronic I-94 and depart via land, but do not re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped on your passport, you may want to travel with evidence of your departure into Canada or Mexico. Evidence of departure can include, but is not limited to, entry stamps in a passport, transportation tickets, pay stubs and/or other receipts. A traveler can request an entry stamp from CBSA when entering Canada or from the InstitutoNacional de Migracion (INM) when entering Mexico.

How does a traveler revalidate a visa without their I-94?


The I-94 admission record is created electronically and maintained in CBP systems. CBP will verify the I-94 electronically to re-validate an expired visa if the traveler meets the conditions of automatic revalidation. In order to demonstrate eligibility for automatic revalidation, a traveler may be required to present a copy of the website printout to the air or sea carrier prior to boarding. If entry occurred prior to automation, a paper form must be presented in order to comply with validation requirements. For more information about automatic revalidation go to http://www.cbp.gov/document/bulletins/automatic-revalidation-visas.

How does CBP document SEVIS records?


CBP does not currently document or update SEVIS records. Upon automation, CBP Officers will provide the SEVIS number with the admission stamp.

How does CBP's automation of Form I-94 affect the Form I-9 process?


It does not affect the Form I-9 process. However, the public should be prepared to see I-94 Forms that will look differently than what they are used to seeing. Now, they will see both I-94 Forms that have original stamps and writing on a card as well as I-94 Forms that are printouts with no original writing or stamps on them. Both versions are acceptable for Form I-9 purposes. For more information on the I-9 form and process, visit www.uscis.gov.

Where do I go to get additional information?


If you have additional questions about I-94 Automation, arrival numbers or travel to the United States, please visit https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list/kw/I-94%20Automation.