This is my story:

My parents moved here (legally) when I was about 6 years old. I have been going to school in the USA for my entire life and I now know it more than my native language. That being said, my parents wanted my family and I to get dual-citizenship and my father was referred to a cheap lawyer nearby and he (being the cheapskate that he is) gladly went to him. This lawyer messed everything up and I am not sure what happened (because my mom never gives us all the details), but my mom lost her job as a professor and now we are stuck.

My parents are now divorced and I do not know where my dad is (which is ironic because he was the one to make us more to the United States, anyway)

Later down the road, my siblings and I started finding it weird that my mom never asked us to get jobs, we couldn't renew our licenses, etc. Eventually we confronted her about it (when I was about 17) and she said that our status was "pending". Okay, we weren't too worried. Surely it would be approved and we would be citizens in no time!

During this "pending" era, my grandmother from my home country got sick. Being the emotional wreck that I am, I went to go see her when I was about 18. When I was ready to return home, I asked my mom how I should go about it and she told me to simply return into the United States with a visitor's visa which I was approved for at the airport.

I am now 21 and I don't know what to do. My mom lied to me about so much, but obviously I still love her since she is family, but she may just have ruined my entire future. I go to school, but what's next? I can't get a job. I have clearly way overstayed my visitor's visa, etc....

My sister is 19 and she just got married and recently got her employment authorization card and is (I believe) well on her way to citizenship. Could she be my way around this?

I didn't know what I was doing wasn't right. I didn't know my mom was lying to me. I didn't know any of it. But who's going to believe that? I have a clean record, by the way and I have always been a straight-A student in school (I love to study). I just don't know what to do. America is what I consider my home, but why are they making it seem as though they really don't love me back?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!