50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Divorce and 10 years ban?

I am getting divorced from my US citizen husband, but our AOS interview never came through so I will be leaving the US in a month. I came to the states on a student visa, then got a work permit and got married and filed for a green card before it expired. As far as I know I haven't done anything illegaly. I just feel like I'm in limbo status. I'm not a student anymore, but I'm not a green card holder either. I would like to come back to the states for my PhD or I may get married again to another US citizen, but he's in the army. He's my ex boyfriend and he's stationed in Japan until March 2004 (I'm not from Japan...I'm from South America) and he was informed by a friend of his that my chances of getting a green card are shot for 10 years even if I marry him. I don't understand why! I haven't done anything illegal. I got married thinking it might last, but it didn't. It happens all around the world: marriages fail. And I'm leaving the US voluntarily. Shouldn't that prove something? That I'm respectful of their rules and I respect the US. Well...if anyone has information on this I would really, really appreciate it.
    Thank you!!

I am getting divorced from my US citizen husband, but our AOS interview never came through so I will be leaving the US in a month. I came to the states on a student visa, then got a work permit and got married and filed for a green card before it expired. As far as I know I haven't done anything illegaly. I just feel like I'm in limbo status. I'm not a student anymore, but I'm not a green card holder either. I would like to come back to the states for my PhD or I may get married again to another US citizen, but he's in the army. He's my ex boyfriend and he's stationed in Japan until March 2004 (I'm not from Japan...I'm from South America) and he was informed by a friend of his that my chances of getting a green card are shot for 10 years even if I marry him. I don't understand why! I haven't done anything illegal. I got married thinking it might last, but it didn't. It happens all around the world: marriages fail. And I'm leaving the US voluntarily. Shouldn't that prove something? That I'm respectful of their rules and I respect the US. Well...if anyone has information on this I would really, really appreciate it.
    Thank you!!

WHY WON'T YOU GO JOIN HIM IN JAPAN AND APPLY THERE FOR YR GC AS THE WIFE OF A USC ???

Thank you! That's an option, but I'm a little worried about what his friend said. I've heard about the US banning people for 10 years, but I don't know if they would ban me for getting married, applying for a green card, getting divorced and canceling everything. Has anyone heard about this?

Was your AOS denied or what and if so why? You might have other options. May be after getting divorce, you can find some other way AOS like Job offer etc. Ten year bar will apply only if you will leave the United States. If you will stay here and try to look for other option and adjust your status then you should be okay.
    Do not take any decision in a rush. Even Voluntary Deportation may not help you to come back, once you leave USA.
    Good luck

You need an immigration lawyer.

No, it wasn't denied. We weren't able to go to the interview so we rescheduled and the INS hasn't sent us another invitation for the interview. I'm getting a marriage dissolution next week so I'm pretty sure the interview will not happen. My husband said he was going to send a letter withdrawing the petition. I will send a letter as well stating the withdrawal and how I voluntarily returned to my country. I could try to stay in the US and adjust through employment, but let's be realistic: the job market is down and even Americans have problems getting jobs. I have a business degree and some international experience, but even then I had to settle for a retail sales job at a mall. I see ads for employment that say NO H-1b's or students! It'd be really, really difficult to get a job where they would sponsor me. I also have to return to my country since all my family is there and they're going through some problems including my mother's divorce and my brother's cancer.
    I have done everything according to the law. I have not stayed illegaly. I even filed for permanent residency before my legal stay expired, so why would the US put a 10 year ban on me?

Your Case is so easy .. you just need a Lawyer and married a Us Citizen and thats it
    Good luck