I plan on submitting my application for naturalization in January 2014, however I am concerned that I may be denied due to my frequent and long traveling records in the past 2 years.
After going through the Naturalization check list several times I do feel that I qualify, but I would like to get some advice to make sure.

My situation;
* I have been a permanent resident since May 2006 and have "continuous permanent residence in the United States for at least 5 years."
* I have been "physically present in the United States for 30 months" in the last 5 years.
* In the last 2 years, I traveled outside of the U.S. 4 times and most of them were long but do not exceed 6 months.
The longest one was from 2012/5/8~2012/11/7 (I know this was cutting too close...)
*All of the trips combined, I have been outside of the U.S. for 540 days in the last 5 years.
However, my stays in the U.S. were short in the past 2 years. (about 2 weeks at a time)
Technically, I should still qualify since I can prove that I was physically present in the U.S. for more than 30 months.
Also, I do have physical address, bank records, source of income (from rent) continuously.

I was informed by an attorney recently that USCIS also combine all of your trips within the last 5 years and the total period cannot exceed 6 months.
I have doubts about this statement since it was not mentioned anywhere in the Naturalization instruction guideline.
So, my questions are;
1. Can your combined traveling records in the last 5 years exceed 6 months ?
2. If you are currently overseas, can you start the application process immediately after returning to the U.S. as long as you meet all of the requirements?
Or do you have to wait for 3 moths in the U.S. before applying?

Q2 is in concerns to "applicants are required to show they have resided for at least three months immediately preceding the filing of Form N-400 in the USCIS district or state where the applicant claims to have residency"

Thank you in advance for your help!!