publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Spouse's income affecting application?

Spouse's income affecting application?

Hi All,

I am new to this so your assistance (and patience) is sincerely appreciated

My partner (US Citizen) and I (Australian) are intending to get married next year

We will be residing in Australia for approx a year or two before moving to the US (due to my work commitments - healthcare professional)

I understand that part of the process involves my partner (new wife) sponsoring me. As such, she has to demonstrate "an income level at or above 125 percent of the Federal poverty level".

If she is not able to meet this income benchmark, would it affect my application in any capacity?

I am financially independent and has the capacity to earn a relatively decent income to sustain the two of us but I may not be working straight away when we arrive in the US.

I will guided by your advice/suggestions

Many thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Morningdew View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to this so your assistance (and patience) is sincerely appreciated

My partner (US Citizen) and I (Australian) are intending to get married next year

We will be residing in Australia for approx a year or two before moving to the US (due to my work commitments - healthcare professional)

I understand that part of the process involves my partner (new wife) sponsoring me. As such, she has to demonstrate "an income level at or above 125 percent of the Federal poverty level".

If she is not able to meet this income benchmark, would it affect my application in any capacity?

I am financially independent and has the capacity to earn a relatively decent income to sustain the two of us but I may not be working straight away when we arrive in the US.

I will guided by your advice/suggestions

Many thanks all
    Any sponsor of an immigrant visa application, which your wife would be, needs to prove the ability to support you. If she is not working, she can prove her ability to support the two of you through assets (real estate, stocks, savings, etc.). If her income is still not enough, she can prove the ability to support through the use of your assets (not earned income potential but actual assets). The amount of either of your assets must be 3X the difference between the sponsor’s actual income and the amount shown for 125% of the poverty line (can be found on Form I-864P). Alternatively, she can also enlist the help of a “co-sponsor”, who must be a US Citizen or legal permanent resident.