50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: selective service registration, please help

Guys, I sent my N-400 four months ago. I filled the application myself and I misunderstood the question about selective service registration. I came to the US as a green card holder exactly 20 days before my 26 birthday. You realize that I had no clue what to do. I never registered. On the application N400 that I filled out myself I misread the question and I thougt it said lawful immigrants,not lawful nonimigrants . So, I answered the question NO. I just realized I made a mistake, because it says except for lawful nonimigrants. What can I do now. I'm 31 now. Please, help.

Guys, I sent my N-400 four months ago. I filled the application myself and I misunderstood the question about selective service registration. I came to the US as a green card holder exactly 20 days before my 26 birthday. You realize that I had no clue what to do. I never registered. On the application N400 that I filled out myself I misread the question and I thougt it said lawful immigrants,not lawful nonimigrants . So, I answered the question NO. I just realized I made a mistake, because it says except for lawful nonimigrants. What can I do now. I'm 31 now. Please, help.

If someone wants to give you a hard time, it will all depend on days. When did you turn 31? Because the registration requirement is just untill the age of 26, after 5 yrs. at 31 you establish good moral character even if you didn't register willfully.

I think you've got a strong case that you seriously didn't know when you first entered the U.S. and that you needed to register in the 20 days that you became a green card holder before the age of 26. This whole draft issue is ridiculeous, the military doens't want any draftees and nobody's been drafted since the end of the Vietnam war in the early 1970's.

Just bring along all kind of evidence that you didn't know about that, bring supporting evidence about your character (volunterring work, church membership, statements from employers and friends testifying to your character etc.). You'll be fine!

Acelaw, thank you for replying. Here is my problem. The question says " Are you a male who lived in USA between your 18 and 26 birthdays in any status except for lawful nonimigrants" I answered no, because I read lawful immigrants, not lawful nonimmigrants. Being a green card holder I am a lawful immigrant. That is how I made the mistake. In fact I entered the country 20 days before my 26 birthday. So, I should have answered yes. What will happen now? What should I do?
    Please, any advice will help.

It sounds like a honest mistake, don't worry about it too much. As you were told by acelaw even the mistake for the 16 days has had its statute of limitation, once you turn 31 plus.

I don't think your application is in too much danger. At the interview, you will swear to tell the truth. This is there you can orally correct your application (make sure the interviewing officer changes your statement and that you initial it) . If it makes you feel better, you can sent a certified mail explaining everything in a professional manner and why you signed "no" the first time around. Good luck!

Advise2, thanks for responding. Yes, the mistake came from misreading the question. Could you please tell me something? Even though I made a mistake, will I still get an appointment for an interview? Thanks. I really appreciate your help.