free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to reniew NJ drivers license

I have a friend who is not able to renew NJ driver's license because they ask for legal status now. Surely he can move to NY and exchange it for NY license but NY requires 2 photo ID proofs of date of birth. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what the fix is for it?
    Thanks

I have a friend who is not able to renew NJ driver's license because they ask for legal status now. Surely he can move to NY and exchange it for NY license but NY requires 2 photo ID proofs of date of birth. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what the fix is for it?
    Thanks

just find a state that doesn't require "legal presence". Not that hard to find one.

-= nav =-

Wait...you're saying that you didn't need to be legal in NJ to get a drivers license prior to what...9/11?? I've lived here all my life and don't remember any time they were giving out licenses to illegal immigrants. Can you explain the situation a bit more please?

New Jersey started inquiring about immigration status in the past few years, but difinitely before 2000. However definitely not in the mid-nineties. I do not know exactly when the law changed. I can't fathom why a state beleives it is in the publics best interest to refuse to license a group of people based on their status in a labrynthlike system that a motor vehicles worker is unlikely to understand the details of. In NJ you not only have to be legal, but you have to either have an immigrant visa or a student visa. Even if you find a state that does not require "legal presence", NJ will still ticket you for driving unlicensed if the officer determines that your residence is in NJ. There were four states that were not restricting licenses based on immigration status, and Califonia and Maryland, at the least, have been added. By the way- NY also wants proof of immigration status in addition to proof of identity, even if one is exchagning an out-of-state license. Good luck to your friend.

First, I am an immigrant myself, so no flames, please. Secondly, I work in immigration. With that said, I must agree with the way states are now checking lawful presence in the U.S. before granting or renewing driver's licenses. Driving is a privilege, not a right. Therefore, there are rules. One of these rules is that many states now require proof of lawful status, just as employers should require proof of lawful employment via the I-9. If a person does not comply with the rules, then the person is not eligible to obtain the privilege of driving.

People like Someone 12 should not be allowed to contribute to these boards - your ignorance is intolerable. Who would pay for a wreck if you caused it? Illegal immigrants have to pay for insurance, just like everyone else. Please think before you type such stupid messages.

Michael
    I guess they will have to drive the truck bombs without a license now. They could get a ticket and fine for for that. But I am sure the ACLU will send their lawyers to protect the rights of terrorists.

Michael
    I didn't know they had insurance policies to cover damages caused by truck bomb blasts. What's the deductible ? 50,000 for the first billion dollars ?

NYC- I understand the policies that support the idea of requiring legal presence to issue licenses, but all in all I disagree. The bottom line is in most states (other than urban areas) one needs to drive to get by. Not allowing large portions of rthe population to get a license just means they wiull drive unlicensed, and therefore unregulated. *That* is when you end up with people driving uninsured, etc. Besides that, I think that the details of "legal status" are too intricate to be understood by the typical DMV worker, and aI loathe to have them in charge of nosing into every detail of a persons status. I realize that it has become vogu to revoke driving priveleges for all sorts of errors, eg-drinking underage, falling behind on child support, not paying for gasoline, etc. But I think those issues are easuer to adjudicate then having to discuss with a civil servnt the details of your Withholding of Deportation. Further it seems that the states are starting to change their opinion on the preference of denying licenses to a population with the result of them then being unregulated.