publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Russian film student permitted to work in film???

I have a small production company and wish to hire a young Russian filmmaker to direct a small independent film. Can I legally hire him since he has a F-1 student visa? He said there is some kind of artist exemption. Also, if he receives a small percentage of ownership in the LLC owning the film project, does that create any kind of problem for him?

I have a small production company and wish to hire a young Russian filmmaker to direct a small independent film. Can I legally hire him since he has a F-1 student visa? He said there is some kind of artist exemption. Also, if he receives a small percentage of ownership in the LLC owning the film project, does that create any kind of problem for him?

If the job reltes to his major, you could hire him as an intern, as long as a professor will give him credit in class for it, and if the international student advisor agrees. It is called carricular practical training (CPT). I don't know anything about artist expemtion, you may want to check with the international student advisor about that.

That's a good start. Thank you.

Okay, here is what the young filmmaker said to me:

"See i already have the bachelor's degree,
    so i can work without going to school. It is called STUDENT SEEKING OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING IN AN OCUPATION DIRECTLY RELATED TO STUDIES. But, i'm not sure what my status will be then. What i know is that there is a way to get a job visa, or a green card (so you don't have to go to school, in order to be legal), is when a company hires you, because you're the only one who can get the job done. That is exactly what the
    art people are."

Does this give anyone any more insight about what we might do? Directing a film is an art form that involves more than just knowing about cameras and lights - it requires experience, understanding, and skill for each particular genre of film. I appreciate any thoughts shared on this.

Irrespective of his creative talents, INS still requires him to be really an exceptional talent and he is still subject to suspicion because,the offer is only for a short term and there is immigrant intent,that is there is desire for him to get the green card.

Let's say that I can establish exceptional talents, for what kind of time period do I need to show that I am requiring his services as an employee?

it is not up to you to prove his exceptional abilities.It is up to INS to approve whether
    the documented talents merit exceptional service on a short term basis.