50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Changing job after filing N400

I am hoping one of you Gurus will have answers to all my question s below!!

Background: I got my permanent resident card on 9/13/2004. We should become eligible to apply for naturalization on 6/14/2009 and intend to file our applications(N400). We do meet the requirements of continuous residence and physical presence.

Question: My project and career opportunity requires me to move to India for few years. Ideally I would like to do this soon after filing my application for naturalization(N400) but before getting the US citizenship. My question is
    1. Can I move out of USA for an extended period of time after filing for N400? What kind of risk is involved?
    a). I can make trips to USA for *my fingerprinting, interview and oath.
    b). A caretaker in USA will keep us informed on the mails from USCIS.

2. Is there any advantage of going on a short term expat assignment(on US payroll) Vs changing job ( on Oversea payroll) from immigration/naturalization perspective? In both cases my employer is same.

3. From immigration perspective, will it make any difference if we both(me and my wife) move out of USA Vs I only move out for job reason while my wife stays in US?

4. If we shouldn’t move until we are awarded the citizenship, then the question is – for how long we shouldn’t move out of USA after getting the citizenship? How much time does OCI approval takes?

5. *We live in Oregon and hence we will be filing the application with Nebraska center. What is the average time I can expect to get fingerprint notice, Interview call, Oath Ceremony and Citizenship awarded from the time I file my application (N400) i.e. 6/14/2009.

I will really appreciate if someone can help solving my dilemmas!!

Thanks.

I am hoping one of you Gurus will have answers to all my question s below!!

Background: I got my permanent resident card on 9/13/2004. We should become eligible to apply for naturalization on 6/14/2009 and intend to file our applications(N400). We do meet the requirements of continuous residence and physical presence.

Question: My project and career opportunity requires me to move to India for few years. Ideally I would like to do this soon after filing my application for naturalization(N400) but before getting the US citizenship. My question is
    1. Can I move out of USA for an extended period of time after filing for N400? What kind of risk is involved?
    a). I can make trips to USA for *my fingerprinting, interview and oath.
    b). A caretaker in USA will keep us informed on the mails from USCIS.

2. Is there any advantage of going on a short term expat assignment(on US payroll) Vs changing job ( on Oversea payroll) from immigration/naturalization perspective? In both cases my employer is same.

3. From immigration perspective, will it make any difference if we both(me and my wife) move out of USA Vs I only move out for job reason while my wife stays in US?

4. If we shouldn’t move until we are awarded the citizenship, then the question is – for how long we shouldn’t move out of USA after getting the citizenship? How much time does OCI approval takes?

5. *We live in Oregon and hence we will be filing the application with Nebraska center. What is the average time I can expect to get fingerprint notice, Interview call, Oath Ceremony and Citizenship awarded from the time I file my application (N400) i.e. 6/14/2009.

I will really appreciate if someone can help solving my dilemmas!!

Thanks.

No, leaving the U.S. to take up residence abroad, even temporary, is prohibit.