Comment: Top EB5 Practices

EB5 cases (I-526 petitions) are highly concentrated in a handful of practices in the country. Approximately 20 law firms account for about 70% of I-526 petitions, though this number of firms is headed gradually higher. Even among these 20 firms, there is further stratification. Immigration Daily estimates that perhaps only 5 practices in the USA file in excess of 200 I-526 petitions per year, these 5 account for almost half the I-526 petitions in the USA. A further 15 (approximately) file between 20 and 200 I-526 petitions per year (3 of these 15 firms are larger than the other 12). Regardless of the current state of affairs, EB5 practice is in a state of unusual flux, with the following being key drivers of change:

• Major immigration law firms are getting into EB5, including many well-known law firms for Hs, Ls, and PERMs, which have historically shied away from EB5s

• Expected regulatory action will make life difficult for several practices long established in the EB5 area, winnowing the current "top list" of some of its members

• Recently, many new RCs have obtained approval, and several more are soon expected. These new RCs are often associated with immigration law firms new to the EB5 space

The situation for I-829s does not merit discussion at this time, since the volumes involved are too small to count at the moment. As to I-924 filings, the matter is quite different, since these are even more concentrated among even fewer firms. EB5 is a boutique sub-industry within the immigration law field, and if the EB5 space can overcome its current regulatory problems of non-compliance, significant growth is in the forecast.

Share your thoughts by writing to editor@ilw.com.

Article: Forging Consensus on Visa Program Critical to Crafting Effective Policy by Guillermo Cantor

Article: California Assembly Bill 1159 (AB 1159) Targets Immigration Attorneys by Ann Cun

Blogging: DOL decisions on PERM cases for IT professionals with engineering degrees by Michael F. Hammond

Blogging: Mu law's maria schneider wins ingenuity award by Chris Musillo

Bloggings by Greg Siskind:   
Obama: Immigration Deal Will Boost Housing Recovery;
Facebook Founder Embracing Cause of DREAMers;
Paul Ryan Emerging as a Leading Pro-Immigration Voice in the GOP;
Schock is 21st Republican to Back Path to Citizenship;
Schumer: Piecemeal Fine as Long as it Has Path to Citizenship;
Good News for DREAM9;  
Steve King Has Presidential Ambitions

Blogging: Tea Party Goes Into August Action Against Immigration Reform by Roger Algase

News: CRS Report on Interior Immigration Enforcement: Programs Targeting Criminal Aliens

Focus: The EB-5 Book - 2nd Edition

ILW.com is pleased to announce the 2nd Edition of The EB-5 Book. The editors are Matt Gordon and Joseph Whalen. Articles by Laura Danielson, Robert Gaffney,Jennifer Hermansky, David Hirson, Jose E. LaTour, Daniel B. Lundy, Brandon Meyer, Elizabeth Peng, John Roth, and Paul Ruby. Pre-Publication orders are now being accepted. The outline is as follows:

• I. Articles on EB-5

• Introduction By: Matt Gordon

• Practical Approaches to Lawful Source of Funds Issues By Robert P. Gaffney

• I-526 Petitions Practice Pointers by Paul Ruby

• How to Successfully Represent Chinese Investors in EB-5 Cases By Elizabeth Peng

• I-829 Practice Pointer: Removing Your Investor's Conditions By: Jennifer Hermansky

• EB-5 Issues: The Investors by Joseph Whalen

• The EB-5 Attorney as Financial Adviser: A Practical Guide By John Roth

• Advising Investors (pre-I-526 and post-I-526 approval) By Laura Danielson

• EB-5 Issues: The Investment By Joseph Whalen

• Structuring and Market Planning for EB-5 Regional Centers and Their Projects By José E. Latour

• Building Your I-924 Submission Package by Brandon Meyer

• EB-5 Issues: Regional Centers By Joseph Whalen

• Tax Counseling for EB-5 Investor Clients Before and After Immigrating to the US: The Tax Implications of Immigration to High Income and High Net Worth Individuals By David Hirson

• "The Future of the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program from the Perspective of an Immigration Lawyer, or Past Performance is Not Indicative of Future Results." By Daniel B. Lundy

• EB-5 Issues: Other Issues By Joseph Whalen

• II. Resource Material

• Section 1: Regulations

• Section 2: Case

• Section 3:Forms

• Section 4:Memoranda

• Section 5:Misc.

• Section 6:Securities Resource Materials

• III. CD-Rom Resource Materials

• Statutes

• Regulations

• Federal Court Cases

• BIA Cases

• Forms

• Memorandoa

• Weblinks

• Securities Resource Materials

• Articles from ILW.COM

• Miscellaneous

Order your copy today:
Online or by Fax.

Headline: Update: All Members Of The 'DREAM 9' Cleared To Pursue Asylum Immigration Click here

Headline: 3 Reasons Arizona Is Ground Zero for Immigration Policy Click here

Headline: Zuckerberg speaks out for immigration reform Click here

Headline: National Push by a Local Immigration Activist: No G.O.P. Retreat Click here

Headline: Rep. Schock weighs in on immigration reform: Click here

Help Wanted: Immigration Paralegal

Los Angeles, CA - Stone, Grzegorek, & Gonzalez, LLP is a dowtown Los Angeles immigration law firm of 20 immigration attorneys. The firm is seeking to hire a paralegal with substantial experience in business immigration matters to work in a collegial working environment that emphasizes training, excellence, and client service. The position involves working with attorneys and other staff in preparing case filings and assisting clients. Ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience; candidates with more experience are preferred. The position requires extensive experience in PERM, attention to detail, excellent writing and oral communication skills, facility with case management software, and ability to work with colleagues in a law firm setting. To indicate interest, please send your resume and list of references to:
recruiting@sggimmigration.com

Help Wanted: Immigration Attorney, Litigation/Business
Washington, D.C. - Cutting-edge D.C firm with national practice is seeking an Associate Attorney with excellent writing skills. 2+ years experience in immigration litigation, asylum, and business immigration. Fluency in Spanish preferred. No billable hours. Great work environment and diverse client base. Competitive salary and benefits. Resume and references to Paul Haar, 1150 Connecticut Ave., N.W., Ninth Floor, Washington, D.C. 20036; e-mail:
paulhaar@aol.com

Case Management for Immigration Automation: Digital office for comprehensive immigration case management

INSZoom is the leading digital office for comprehensive immigration case management and compliance, trusted by the world's top immigration law firms and corporations. Use INSZoom's industry-defining technology to streamline and automate your immigration practice. Access 800+ immigration forms for the U.S. and the world, which are always updated within 24 hours of release. e-File all major USCIS forms. Give clients and consultants direct access to your system through online portals. Access group calendaring, alert tools, CRM, email management, billing and invoicing, and much more. Every service integrates within one solution to boost your productivity and help you grow your practice. For more details , contact us at (925) 244-0600 or Sales@INSZoom.com. To learn more, click here.

To submit an article or a news item to Immigration Daily, write to editor@ilw.com. Follow ILW.COM on Twitter.

Letters of the Week

ComingsNGoings: Immigration Reading

The Slums of Aspen: Immigrants vs. the Environment in America's Eden by Lisa Sun-Hee Park and David Naguib Pellow - NYU Press, 284 pp. - ISBN: 1479834769, $19.56 - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1479834769/

An Important disclaimer! The information provided on this page is not legal advice. Transmission of this information is not intended to create, and receipt by you does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Readers must not act upon any information without first seeking advice from a qualified attorney. Copyright 1995-2013 American Immigration LLC, ILW.COM. Send correspondence and articles to editor@ilw.com. Letters and articles may be edited and may be published and otherwise used in any medium. The views expressed in letters and articles do not necessarily represent the views of ILW.COM.

Publisher: Sam Udani ISSN: 1930-062X

Advisory Board: Jason Dzubow, Rami Fakhoury, Matthew Kolken,
Chris Musillo, Lory Rosenberg, Greg Siskind, Joel Stewart, Margaret Wong