free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-1 student and two misdemeanors

I used to be a student in the US between 2001 and 2007 and i returned back to my home country( Egypt). I will be going back to the US for graduate school in January.

so what is the problem ? ....the problem is that in 2003 i got arrested for attempting to enter a bar with a false id(i was 19 back then) ,got a $300 ticked and had to show up in court.

Also in 2006 i was fined by the cops for throwing a loud party and got fined and had to show up in court.

well right now i was looking the non immigrant form and i noticed this question

"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?"

should i answer yes to it and if so will that prevent me from getting the visa ?

I used to be a student in the US between 2001 and 2007 and i returned back to my home country( Egypt). I will be going back to the US for graduate school in January.

so what is the problem ? ....the problem is that in 2003 i got arrested for attempting to enter a bar with a false id(i was 19 back then) ,got a $300 ticked and had to show up in court.

Also in 2006 i was fined by the cops for throwing a loud party and got fined and had to show up in court.

well right now i was looking the non immigrant form and i noticed this question

"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?"

should i answer yes to it and if so will that prevent me from getting the visa ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">should i answer yes to it and if so will that prevent me from getting the visa ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. You should always tell the truth. Not sure if it will prevent you from getting the visa, but getting caught in a lie will surely prevent you. Good luck.

You have to reply yes to that question. It won't necessarily prevent you from getting the visa. I don't think either crime is considered a CIMT (read all about it here). Make sure you have all the court records and proof they were dealt with. Were you ever out of student status while here?
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Thanks ProudUSC and Brit4064 for your answers.... Brit4064 i got out of status in my last semester in the US and i left the US in less than month after i got out of status ....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">left the US in less than month after i got out of status .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe as long as you leave within 180 days of going out of status, you accumulate no unlawful presence in the US. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will stop by to correct me.

Two criminal convictions and out of status. No visa for you.

There used to be a 30 day grace period allowed beyond the expiry date for most visa types including student visas. That may have changed with the SERVIS reporting system. I assume it said D/S (Duration of Stay) on your I-94? You might wanna check with a good immigration lawyer to make sure you were never recorded as out of status.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Well i got out of status but not because i finished school i was out of status because i didn't register for classes in spring 2007 ... i was informed that i was out of status by the international office in April 2007 and i left the US in may .... i transferred to a different university in Egypt .... is there a way to know when did i exactly get of status ? and i don't believe that i still have the I-94 Card or the I-20

Retrieving a lost or get a replacement I-94 card here

File a FOIA on Immigration records here.