50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: New I-20

My partner will be entering the US on a student visa. She has applied at the university and has been accepted pending the results of her TOEFL test. When I submitted her forms to the school, they reviewed it and told me that it will take about 4 weeks after her TOEFL test to get the I-20 form. And then the lady at the university's international office told me that since the semester that my partner will start is Spring 2003, she will not be given her student visa until December 2002. Is this true? I've been trying to research this issue all day and I find nothing that says she can't arrive in the US a couple of months early since she wants to travel and visit her relatives around the US and Canada before embarking on school. Everything I can find has been about extending F-1 visa stay AFTER but there is nothing about arriving before. She doesn't want to stay here past her degree, we will be moving to her country then.

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

My partner will be entering the US on a student visa. She has applied at the university and has been accepted pending the results of her TOEFL test. When I submitted her forms to the school, they reviewed it and told me that it will take about 4 weeks after her TOEFL test to get the I-20 form. And then the lady at the university's international office told me that since the semester that my partner will start is Spring 2003, she will not be given her student visa until December 2002. Is this true? I've been trying to research this issue all day and I find nothing that says she can't arrive in the US a couple of months early since she wants to travel and visit her relatives around the US and Canada before embarking on school. Everything I can find has been about extending F-1 visa stay AFTER but there is nothing about arriving before. She doesn't want to stay here past her degree, we will be moving to her country then.

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

The new proposal, which may come into effect at any time is that students may enter the US 30 days prior to start of classes. Not sure what it is now. Check with US consulate in home country to see how far in advance they are willing to issue a student visa.

Thanks Mark. Is this just a proposal now or has it been enacted? Because that's what the lady at the International Office told me but I can't find anything even on the INS website.

According to this webpage: http://travel.state.gov/foreign_stud...s_handout.html students can apply 90 days before registration date noted on I-20. However, do take proposals very seriously, because chances are they will be enacted. It would be a real bummer if 90 days in advance your partner got the visa, plane ticket and all, and then all of a sudden, INS changed the rules to 30 days. Check www.nafsa.org for immigration updates concerning international students.

Does anyone know if my partner comes to the US on a visa waiver, can she go to Canada and change her visa to an F-1 after she gets her I-20?

It is not possible anymore to change from tourist visa to student visa. It used to be but not anymore.