Wagreich for AILA Board of Governors Campaign Statement

by

Ian D. Wagreich

I am honored to be selected by the nominating committee as a candidate for a Director Position in AILA’s Board of Governors. As a Director, I would hope to serve AILA membership effectively, to foster open communication between the Board and AILA members and to add to the vibrancy of the organization.

History of Leadership and Volunteerism within AILA

I have been an active and involved member of AILA for over fifteen years. In 2011, I was honored to receive an AILA President’s Commendation for leadership as Chair of the Vermont Service Center Liaison Committee. My most recent volunteer and leadership activities include the following:

· USCIS Liaison Committee Benefits Policy, Committee Chair (2012-present)

· USCIS Liaison Committee Benefits-Policy, Member (2011-2012)

· USCIS Service Center Operations Committee, Member (2010-present)

· USCIS VSC Liaison Committee, Chair (2011-2012)

· USCIS VSC Liaison Committee, Vice-Chair (2010-2011)

· USCIS VSC Liaison Committee, Member (2009-2010)

· Chair – AILA 2013 Spring Conference – Washington, DC

· Presented at numerous AILA national and regional conferences

Vision for Helping AILA meet future Challenges

With Comprehensive Immigration Reform on the horizon there will be a number of challenges to AILA as an organization, as well as to individual members. I am eager to assist our membership as a whole and help guide AILA through some of the following challenges:

· Improvement in Providing Professional Education to Membership

· Effective Government Advocacy

· Effective Communication of Governance Activities to Members

· Adaptation to New Technologies

Exhibiting Strong Leadership

As a Director of the Board of Governors, I would dedicate myself to making sure the individual voices of the membership are heard and would take an active and vigorous role in setting the goals of the organization. I have spent many years working for small and solo law practices, and believe I can effectively communicate the concerns of our members working in similar situations. Finally, I believe that Directors of the Board of Governors should advocate energetically for fair and reasonable immigration laws that benefit not only our clients, but the country as a whole.

About The Author

Ian D. Wagreich is Managing Partner of the Law Offices of Ian D. Wagreich, in Chicago, where he focuses on business-related immigration law, including nonimmigrant working visas, employment-based permanent residence, labor certification, employment authorization, employer sanctions, and permanent-resident investor visas. His practice includes advising multinational corporations, hospitals, universities, professional athletes, artists, and entrepreneurs. He has had a number of leadership positions within the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), including serving as Chair of AILA’s Vermont Service Center Liaison Committee, and is currently Chair of AILA’s USCIS Benefits Policy Committee and was a recipient of a 2011 AILA President’s Commendation for outstanding leadership in the organization. Mr. Wagreich is a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Immigration Council and frequently speaks at universities on employment-based immigration issues facing international students and at legal education seminars on the subject of business immigration law. Mr. Wagreich received a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and his J.D. from Loyola University of Chicago School of Law. He was admitted to the State of Illinois Bar in 1995 and received a diploma in International Practice from Austria’s Center for International Legal Studies in 1996.

The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinion of ILW.COM.