publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Article: Still No Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill by Tahmina Watson

Article: Still No Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill by Tahmina Watson

Still No Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill

by

Tahmina Watson

Like many, I am anxiously awaiting the first draft of a comprehensive immigration reform bill. From various news reports, it seemed like today might have been the day to see it. Alas, that is not the case.

I felt elated when I saw this headline: House Democrats Present Immigration Overhaul Plan- a New York Times article. Seeing the headline, I instantly got excited and thought at least the House has their bill out. Perhaps it is like a competition for them, I thought. But my hopes were dashed as I started to read the article. I felt teased and tricked. The article talks about their ‘blue print’- not the details of the laws they are proposing.

At this point, whether it is the House or Senate, it is pretty clear what the blue print will roughly look like. President Obama had already set the blue print out in his speech several months ago.

It does seem negotiations are still ongoing. Today seems to be the day that a final agreement has been made with farmers about wages and visa caps. Today also seems to be the day that Facebook founder Zuckerberg launched FWD.us (Forward U.S), an effort to lobby about high-skilled immigration needs.

While I may disheartened today, I am sure next week holds promise. Next Tuesday has been declared the day the bill will be presented. At least, that is what Reuters was told. I shall no doubt be watching this space closely.

Originally posted on the Watson Immigration Law Blog. Reprinted with permission.

About The Author

Tahmina Watson is an immigration attorney and founder of Watson Immigration Law in Seattle Washington. She was a practicing barrister in London, UK, before immigrating to the United States herself. While her practice includes family-based and employment-based immigration, she has a strong focus on immigrant entrepreneurs and start-up companies. She can be contacted at tahmina@watsonimmigrationlaw.com. You can visit www.watsonimmigrationlaw.com to learn about Tahmina and her practice.

The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) alone and should not be imputed to ILW.COM.

They deported my husband back to Honduras it has been 1 month and 6 days since they sent him back. He was beaten and had a gun held to his head for his clothes , shoes and wedding ring. I feel the law is working to slow for some of us . My husbands life depends on these law changes. He is scared and wants to come home NOW. It is a struggle every week to have to sell things to send him money for food and the fear for his life is driving me to have nightmares. I wake up trembling and 3 time have woken up to my own screaming. Lord help me if he is killed before anything can be done.
    Last edited by star_of_truth; 04-15-2013 at 12:44 AM.