free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed - Dont know Which form I should File

I am wondering if some one can help me ?
    I moved to US in 1983,when i was 7 years old and have lived her since then. I have a green card. When i was 14, both of my parents became citzens. I was led to beleive that since both my parents became citzens & i was under the age of 18 , that i was a citizen and all i had to do was file paperwork when i turned 18. Unfortunalty , being the procrastinator that I am , never filed my application for citzenship.
    Now i am 32 years old, and ready to become citzen , so i can attain US passport and travel .
    I did some research onlline and think that i should file form n600, but I am confused. I called INS and the lady told me, that since i was over 18 on Feb 27, 2001 , That i need to file n400 ?
    Does anyone know what form I should file ,and am i a citizen or what ?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated -
    Thanks
    Newman
    Below in Red is what led me to believe that i should file Form N600- it is taken out of the Guide TO Naturalization form- M-476:

Question 25. If I am a U.S. citizen, is my child a U.S. citizen?
    A child who is born in the United States, or born abroad to a U.S. citizen(s) who lived in
    (or came to) the United States for the required period of time prior to the child’s birth, is
    generally considered a U.S. citizen at birth.
    A child who is:
    • Born to a U.S. citizen who did not live in (or come to) the United States for the
    required period of time prior to the child’s birth, or
    • Born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents who
    naturalize after the child’s birth, or
    • Adopted (stepchildren cannot derive or acquire citizenship through their stepparents)
    and is permanently residing in the United States can become a U.S. citizen by action of
    law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met:
    • The child was lawfully admitted for permanent residence*; and
    • Either parent was a United States citizen by birth or naturalization**; and
    • The child was still under 18 years of age; and
    • The child was not married; and
    • The child was the parent’s legitimate child or was legitimated by the parent before
    the child’s 16th birthday (children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated
    before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their
    father); and
    • If adopted, the child met the requirements of section 101(b)(1)(E) or (F) of the
    Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and has had a full and final adoption; and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the legal custody of the U.S. citizen
    parent (this includes joint custody); and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S.
    citizen parent.
    If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. <span class="ev_code_RED"> [b]( [COLOR:RED]NOTE: A child who meets these requirements before his or her 18th birthday may obtain a passport or Certificate of Citizenship at any time, even after he or she turns 18.)</span>

I am wondering if some one can help me ?
    I moved to US in 1983,when i was 7 years old and have lived her since then. I have a green card. When i was 14, both of my parents became citzens. I was led to beleive that since both my parents became citzens & i was under the age of 18 , that i was a citizen and all i had to do was file paperwork when i turned 18. Unfortunalty , being the procrastinator that I am , never filed my application for citzenship.
    Now i am 32 years old, and ready to become citzen , so i can attain US passport and travel .
    I did some research onlline and think that i should file form n600, but I am confused. I called INS and the lady told me, that since i was over 18 on Feb 27, 2001 , That i need to file n400 ?
    Does anyone know what form I should file ,and am i a citizen or what ?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated -
    Thanks
    Newman
    Below in Red is what led me to believe that i should file Form N600- it is taken out of the Guide TO Naturalization form- M-476:

Question 25. If I am a U.S. citizen, is my child a U.S. citizen?
    A child who is born in the United States, or born abroad to a U.S. citizen(s) who lived in
    (or came to) the United States for the required period of time prior to the child’s birth, is
    generally considered a U.S. citizen at birth.
    A child who is:
    • Born to a U.S. citizen who did not live in (or come to) the United States for the
    required period of time prior to the child’s birth, or
    • Born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents who
    naturalize after the child’s birth, or
    • Adopted (stepchildren cannot derive or acquire citizenship through their stepparents)
    and is permanently residing in the United States can become a U.S. citizen by action of
    law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met:
    • The child was lawfully admitted for permanent residence*; and
    • Either parent was a United States citizen by birth or naturalization**; and
    • The child was still under 18 years of age; and
    • The child was not married; and
    • The child was the parent’s legitimate child or was legitimated by the parent before
    the child’s 16th birthday (children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated
    before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their
    father); and
    • If adopted, the child met the requirements of section 101(b)(1)(E) or (F) of the
    Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and has had a full and final adoption; and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the legal custody of the U.S. citizen
    parent (this includes joint custody); and
    • The child was residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S.
    citizen parent.
    If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. <span class="ev_code_RED"> [b]( [COLOR:RED]NOTE: A child who meets these requirements before his or her 18th birthday may obtain a passport or Certificate of Citizenship at any time, even after he or she turns 18.)</span>

Newman, I answered you in the other thread
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

I m getting confused ?
    Which is it N400 or N600 -

Wondering why TAK is saying n400 ?

And what does the Senior member and power member mean, is that how long you have been members or how much experience you have with this field ?

copied from the other thread:
    Easiest and cheapest option right now is apply for U.S. passport. You should be a U.S. Citizen by action of law. Information about getting your passport can be found here: http://travel.state.gov/passpo...first/first_830.html. You will need your green card and your parents' naturalization certificates.

Getting a certificate of naturalization is not required but definitely recommended- that's the N600. I believe you qualify under Number 4 under "Who Should Use N-600" in the instructions: if before you were 18 adn before Feb 27, 2001 you were in the U.S. and a legal permanent resident and both your parents naturalized, you can use the N-600.

You will not get deported- you have done nothing wrong.

senior, power regurlar... all relate to how long you've been a member and I also think how much you post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mrs. Mani:
    senior, power regurlar... all relate to how long you've been a member and I also think how much you post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing to do with how long one has been a member, but how many posts you have. Here are the Karma levels:

Level Title Required Points
    1 Junior Member 0
    2 Associate Member 3
    3 Regular Member 20
    4 Frequent Member 100
    5 Senior Member 400
    6 Power Member 1200