50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if I don't have a Joint Sponsor?

My wife and I live in Japan, and we had thought that we did everything to satisfy her visa requirements, but ultimately she was denied, saying that she needed to find a joint sponsor. We can't find a joint sponsor, because that document is such a sharp-toothed monster that no one will touch it. My mother suggested transferring 75,000$ US into my American bank account to prove that I have 5 times the 125% poverty guideline in assets. Will this work? I don't want to go to Tokyo and back again only to be denied...

My wife and I live in Japan, and we had thought that we did everything to satisfy her visa requirements, but ultimately she was denied, saying that she needed to find a joint sponsor. We can't find a joint sponsor, because that document is such a sharp-toothed monster that no one will touch it. My mother suggested transferring 75,000$ US into my American bank account to prove that I have 5 times the 125% poverty guideline in assets. Will this work? I don't want to go to Tokyo and back again only to be denied...

I'm not sure what filing you're talking about, but I know this... In the Affidavit of Support papers, the INS will consider personal assets of the immigrant should they be able to help meet financial requirements.

A quote from INS' Aff. of Supp Application... "If your total houselhold income does not meet the minimum income requirement, the intending immigrant will be ineligible for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, unless: ... The immigrant you are sponsoring provides evidence of assets that meet the requirement under "Evidence of Assets"...

If this Affidavit of Support is what what you need to do, then I'm sure you'll fulfill financial requirements. Take a good look at the requirements and what not from INS' Affidavit of Support application. Good luck

To be more specific, I am referring to the notorious I-864 Affadavit of Support. I don't currently have a job in the USA, but my mother heard that if I have five times the current 125% poverty guidelines, that my wife should be able to get the visa. Of course, we don't have that, but my mother suggested putting 75,000$ (approximately 15,000 x 5) into my American bank account and using my bank records as proof that I have enough in assets. I have also heard this "magic number" from a few other people, including one immigration lawyer. My question is: can my parents give me that money as evidence of assets? I think if I were working for the INS and I saw that on Thursday you had 183$ and on Friday you had 75,183$, I'd be a little suspicious. But since I don't have a joint sponsor, I am not sure of any other way...

Your parents sound very generous. I was wondering if they would be willing to be co sponsors for you. Its a lot less taxing than giving you 75000 dollars. And it helps tremendously to have co-sponsors. As co sponsors they would only have to help support your wife if you could not support her. I am sure you plan to work when you get here so that should not be a problem.

My parents are not so generous...However, miki it sounds as if you are not familiar with the legal implications of the I-864 Affadavit of Support Form. Please familiarize yourself with it (legally) before you ever post any response to this board ever again. Basically, to sum this document up, if Jesus met a nice girl in Japan, God would not sign it. To transfer money takes them completely off the Joint Sponsor hook....We are looking for options outside of that because we are not criminals and we wish to enter the US legally and honestly. We have done everything the INS asked us to do, and yet we still do not have a visa for my wife.

In the future on this, and on all internet message boards, if you don't have an answer to a question, use your free time to pursue hobbies or watch movies. My INS questions are serious and pending, and I don't have time for nonsense. I don't mean to come off as rude but I think all viewers of your post will agree that your response was unhelpful and arrogant. Take care of yourself Miki!

Beg to differ. My mother co-sponsored my husband. I am sorry that your mother would not do the same for her son. Good luck to you and your dear wife.

My mother in law co-sponsored for me too...

Yeah it's a serious document to sign but I don't think your answer to Miki was justified. I think Miki did really well in answering your questions. Yeah you're stressed out and trying to find an answer but don't take it on other people.

And I have no idea about the money in the bank accounts.

Mike:
    I realize that you are stressed out but Miki was trying to be helpful.

People are here to help each other and if you do not like someone's comment ignore it.

You know what goes around comes back around and it is that same attitude that will get you and your wife no where fast.

Thank you for you input Miki, it was very kind and I am sure helpful to someone else.

Mike, could you explain to us your overall situation... are you a USC or a GC holder? How did you end up living in Japan and how did you meet your wife? Knowing the whole picture and what immigration avenue you took/plan on taking would help.

Oh yeah, I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but you were extremely rude to Miki. The purpose of this board is to give support and share experiences to those in need. I understand if you don't have time for "nonsense", and if you don't, this is the last place you should be looking. Go hire a lawyer.

Quick tip here: I hope you didn't/won't reflect such attitude in the presence of the INS. Its definitely not a good thing to show. Good Luck!