50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Sticky Situation, trying to help a friend

So Ive got a friend of mine who came into the U.S. legally, lived her life, met a police officer, fell in love and got married. Sounds good so far right? Well heres where it goes bad, 5 months after getting married the guy comes home and kicks her out of the house for no reason! Tells her get your stuff and get out. Ok so she gets her clothes, try's taking some of the bigger things like her t.v so on, and guess what! hes says no you cant take that stuff. So he pretty much robbed her.
    So she gets her own apartment, and her husband dissapeared for 5 months! No calls, his phone disconnected, not at the apartment they used to live in. So 5 months goes by and she gets a private call, oooh its him. Well they meet up and start talking and he doesnt explain himself at all. So he starts calling her here and there from private calls, swings by just argues with her, till one day he follows her to a friends house who was fixing her computer, waited till she came out of the house and beat her senseless while dragging her down the street.
    The girl goes to the police, files a report, is held at the station for hours interviewed and taken pictures of. They take away his gun for a year and put him on desk duty as punishment. So throughout this whole thing their still married.
    Now its been about 7 months since thats happened, they are still separated, and he still calls her private all the time, comes over and harrases her with threats of divorce and so one, then goes and stays with one of his two baby mamma's.
    What I would like to know is that I know their is a law that protects abused immigrant wives, and I know she is scared of being either deported or losing her chance at her paper work, But can she still go ahead and divorce this man and still get her papers? please any helpful advice is needed. Thank you

So Ive got a friend of mine who came into the U.S. legally, lived her life, met a police officer, fell in love and got married. Sounds good so far right? Well heres where it goes bad, 5 months after getting married the guy comes home and kicks her out of the house for no reason! Tells her get your stuff and get out. Ok so she gets her clothes, try's taking some of the bigger things like her t.v so on, and guess what! hes says no you cant take that stuff. So he pretty much robbed her.
    So she gets her own apartment, and her husband dissapeared for 5 months! No calls, his phone disconnected, not at the apartment they used to live in. So 5 months goes by and she gets a private call, oooh its him. Well they meet up and start talking and he doesnt explain himself at all. So he starts calling her here and there from private calls, swings by just argues with her, till one day he follows her to a friends house who was fixing her computer, waited till she came out of the house and beat her senseless while dragging her down the street.
    The girl goes to the police, files a report, is held at the station for hours interviewed and taken pictures of. They take away his gun for a year and put him on desk duty as punishment. So throughout this whole thing their still married.
    Now its been about 7 months since thats happened, they are still separated, and he still calls her private all the time, comes over and harrases her with threats of divorce and so one, then goes and stays with one of his two baby mamma's.
    What I would like to know is that I know their is a law that protects abused immigrant wives, and I know she is scared of being either deported or losing her chance at her paper work, But can she still go ahead and divorce this man and still get her papers? please any helpful advice is needed. Thank you

Yes there is..check the ICE website. As long as she has proof of the battery and the abuse.

I cant seem to find any info on their website regarding abuse of immigrant wives.

Here is some information about it on these websites:

VAWA

How Do I Apply for Immigration Benefits as a Battered Spouse or Child? - USCIS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Organ Dealer:
    What I would like to know is that I know their is a law that protects abused immigrant wives, and I know she is scared of being either deported or losing her chance at her paper work, But can she still go ahead and divorce this man and still get her papers? please any helpful advice is needed. Thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before any immigration matters are considered, she needs to file an order of protection against that lunatic. Makes me so mad that men think they can treat women this way!!!! Then, she should follow up and file VAWA as others have suggested.