50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Divorce problems

My wife and I are getting a divorce, we have a child together. she is planning on filing for full custody of our child so she can move to another state. I love my child very much, and dont want to be apart from her. I'm afraid to do anything about it because I didn't get adjustment of status to stay in the country. is there anything i can do?

My wife and I are getting a divorce, we have a child together. she is planning on filing for full custody of our child so she can move to another state. I love my child very much, and dont want to be apart from her. I'm afraid to do anything about it because I didn't get adjustment of status to stay in the country. is there anything i can do?

Are you here illegally, or just have the conditional residency? You have to fight this b.itch every step of the way. The judge can appoint you a free attorney if you are indigent. Fight for custody of your child. Does she use drugs?

Wow, Fed, I have never heard you talk like this before. This must be hitting home....does it?
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

I think it does Koller re: fedNUT. How's the snow in NJ these days? LOL
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brit4064:
    I think it does Koller re: fedNUT. How's the snow in NJ these days? LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am melting....I'm melting!

I can't wait for this stuff to be gone. I've had it with snow. There is little bit on its way tonight though. Other than that all is dandy in NJ.

Thinking about you guys all the time. Don't have much time to chat nowdays...got to built business.
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Your immigration status and your divorce/ custody battle are two separate things and don't have much to do with each other.
    In general it always depends on the states custody laws how it is handled. Most states do have shared custody but even then just one parent had the physical custody. The court will decide what is in the best interest for the child.

If the mother wants to move to a different state- no matter if she has sole or shared legal custody- can file a petition with the court showing why she has to move ( job, family, etc). The court will decide and make arrangements for the non- custodial parent to have proper visitation.

You can veto the petition and show case why it would not be in the best interest for the child to move to a different state. It needs to be in the child's best interest, not just your best interest.

I would hire a family attorney to battle your case in court.

Good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegado:
    Your immigration status and your divorce/ custody battle are two separate things and don't have much to do with each other.
    In general it always depends on the states custody laws how it is handled. Most states do have shared custody but even then just one parent had the physical custody. The court will decide what is in the best interest for the child.

If the mother wants to move to a different state- no matter if she has sole or shared legal custody- can file a petition with the court showing why she has to move ( job, family, etc). The court will decide and make arrangements for the non- custodial parent to have proper visitation.

You can veto the petition and show case why it would not be in the best interest for the child to move to a different state. It needs to be in the child's best interest, not just your best interest.

I would hire a family attorney to battle your case in court.

Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thank you for the advice, I think I will have to get a lawyer. Because she told me that, her lawyer gave her some divorce papers for me to sign, but I can only see or get a copy of them on the day I decide to sign.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rollen:
    My wife and I are getting a divorce, we have a child together. she is planning on filing for full custody of our child so she can move to another state. I love my child very much, and dont want to be apart from her. I'm afraid to do anything about it because I didn't get adjustment of status to stay in the country. is there anything i can do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pleaes explain to us why you did not gaet adjustment of status based on your marriage. Perhaps we can help you with this

if you ever filed any petition with immigration , there is achance that you can file WAVA..depending you case is in the court (divorce)
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..