publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: What does "knowingly employ" mean?

I think one of the employees at my company might be undocumented, but I don't know for sure. I'm not in charge of hiring/firing, but she does work in the department I run. Can I be penalized for "knowingly employing" an undocumented immigrant?

I think one of the employees at my company might be undocumented, but I don't know for sure. I'm not in charge of hiring/firing, but she does work in the department I run. Can I be penalized for "knowingly employing" an undocumented immigrant?

Well of course if the INS can prove that you really know about it. There is a $500 fine for the first offence for you and $1000 for her and she would be subject to deportation. Of course there are around 4 million illegal immigrants working in the US (you like McDonald`s?) so the INS can not possibly track down all of them (in fact they don`t even care much about this stuff, they are too busy). If they would get all of them,you probably would have to cook at home and not eat any fast food, or you would have to make the cleaning in your department and so on. I would say you don`t take it too seriously, all you would do is take a fine and force her to leave your company and get into lots of trouble. Your action of course will depend on what kind of person you are...You could help her and get her a sponsorship and an immigration lawyer to get a green card when the 245(i) comes back (could happen any time), or you could just fire her, it`s your call.

I don't want to fire her, and anyway I don't have the authority to do it. And I don't know for sure. Legally do I have to tell my boss my suspicions?

These poor people make a living on daily basis. They are PITYFUL enough not being able to enjoy ONE SINGLE BRIGHT DAY in their lifes, not to mention any benefits provided to a legal NONIMMIGRANT alien. Mercy, please ! Put yourself into his/her situation and THINK ABOUT IT !

James

I agree with James strongly here. Live and let live. The person is just trying to survive, not commiting a crime. Besides, it's just your hunch, it might not even be true. In which case, if you bring it out and it's false then you will not only embarass the person and yourself, but might even be cited for being racist. What made you think the person was illegal in the first place (his/her skin color? accent? look?) I'm sure you get where I'm going here.