50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: What should I do now?

I first entered the Unites States as an International student. I was given a six years student visa but I completed my course within three and half years. During my last year in college, I met an american lady who I married and had a child with. she applied green card for me. I had my ten green card without any problem. after our child was born, there was a problem in our marriage and other issues so we did seperate but we were still together. During our seperation, I did move out of the states we were living to another to do my masters and for better job opportunity but we were still together because I was visiting and doing what couples would do when they meet. Now I did apply for naturalization based on having been a permanent resident for at least three years. But during the interview, the officer said we have been living in a different states, so I didn't not qualify under the three year provision so my case was denied. Now I applied in my current state,Virginia based on having been a permanent resident for five years. Within three months, I went for my interview and was recommended for approval so I should expert a letter for an aoth ceremony in the mail. But after two months of my interview, I received a letter from my local office asking for an evidence of child support which I did gladly provide. But about four months after I had provided the evidence of child support, I received another letter asking me to appear for another interview. I was shocked about the letter so I did hire a lawyer and I must say it was the right thing I did. During my second interview, the officer(s) was less concern with my naturalization application than my green card which hard already been granted. so with what was going on, my counsel advised me to withdraw the application because it was either I withrew the application or they would give me an NTA. they did call my ex-wife to find out the relationship and she told them the same thing i told them that the marriage was legitimate but we had our problems. But with all these problems, we tried to come together but it didn't work. Now here is my concern. even though I have a child with my ex-wife, the officer believes that the mariage was a fraud. it seems I can't apply for a naturalization, so what happens when my green card is up for renewal? are they going to approve it or deny? I want any expert here to help me out. If having a child and paying child suppoort is not evidence of a true marriage then I don't know what a true marriage is. I don't mind going back to my country because I know with my american university education, I will be sought after by major companies, but i want to fight this.

I first entered the Unites States as an International student. I was given a six years student visa but I completed my course within three and half years. During my last year in college, I met an american lady who I married and had a child with. she applied green card for me. I had my ten green card without any problem. after our child was born, there was a problem in our marriage and other issues so we did seperate but we were still together. During our seperation, I did move out of the states we were living to another to do my masters and for better job opportunity but we were still together because I was visiting and doing what couples would do when they meet. Now I did apply for naturalization based on having been a permanent resident for at least three years. But during the interview, the officer said we have been living in a different states, so I didn't not qualify under the three year provision so my case was denied. Now I applied in my current state,Virginia based on having been a permanent resident for five years. Within three months, I went for my interview and was recommended for approval so I should expert a letter for an aoth ceremony in the mail. But after two months of my interview, I received a letter from my local office asking for an evidence of child support which I did gladly provide. But about four months after I had provided the evidence of child support, I received another letter asking me to appear for another interview. I was shocked about the letter so I did hire a lawyer and I must say it was the right thing I did. During my second interview, the officer(s) was less concern with my naturalization application than my green card which hard already been granted. so with what was going on, my counsel advised me to withdraw the application because it was either I withrew the application or they would give me an NTA. they did call my ex-wife to find out the relationship and she told them the same thing i told them that the marriage was legitimate but we had our problems. But with all these problems, we tried to come together but it didn't work. Now here is my concern. even though I have a child with my ex-wife, the officer believes that the mariage was a fraud. it seems I can't apply for a naturalization, so what happens when my green card is up for renewal? are they going to approve it or deny? I want any expert here to help me out. If having a child and paying child suppoort is not evidence of a true marriage then I don't know what a true marriage is. I don't mind going back to my country because I know with my american university education, I will be sought after by major companies, but i want to fight this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kari81:
    I first entered the Unites States as an International student. I was given a six years student visa but I completed my course within three and half years. During my last year in college, I met an american lady who I married and had a child with. she applied green card for me. I had my ten green card without any problem. after our child was born, there was a problem in our marriage and other issues so we did seperate but we were still together. During our seperation, I did move out of the states we were living to another to do my masters and for better job opportunity but we were still together because I was visiting and doing what couples would do when they meet. Now I did apply for naturalization based on having been a permanent resident for at least three years. But during the interview, the officer said we have been living in a different states, so I didn't not qualify under the three year provision so my case was denied. Now I applied in my current state,Virginia based on having been a permanent resident for five years. Within three months, I went for my interview and was recommended for approval so I should expert a letter for an aoth ceremony in the mail. But after two months of my interview, I received a letter from my local office asking for an evidence of child support which I did gladly provide. But about four months after I had provided the evidence of child support, I received another letter asking me to appear for another interview. I was shocked about the letter so I did hire a lawyer and I must say it was the right thing I did. During my second interview, the officer(s) was less concern with my naturalization application than my green card which hard already been granted. so with what was going on, my counsel advised me to withdraw the application because it was either I withrew the application or they would give me an NTA. they did call my ex-wife to find out the relationship and she told them the same thing i told them that the marriage was legitimate but we had our problems. But with all these problems, we tried to come together but it didn't work. Now here is my concern. even though I have a child with my ex-wife, the officer believes that the mariage was a fraud. it seems I can't apply for a naturalization, so what happens when my green card is up for renewal? are they going to approve it or deny? I want any expert here to help me out. If having a child and paying child suppoort is not evidence of a true marriage then I don't know what a true marriage is. I don't mind going back to my country because I know with my american university education, I will be sought after by major companies, but i want to fight this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Kari and welcome to the forum

Well you may have done the right thing by hiring an attorney, but you did not appear to have hired an experienced or competent one if that is the advice he/she gave you.

Why would you withdraw your app if it was in fact legit?? Are you divorced? The I/o is questioning if your green card was obtained by fraud most likely because you were not living together at the time the joint petition was filed. BTW just having a child and paying child support does not prove a bonafide marriage, although it helps.

You should not have withdrawn your application if you had all the proper documentation to back up your claim to citizenship.

Please provide timelines and I would be shopping for another lawyer consultation.

PS if child support is not current at time of interview or has been delinquent in the past, they will deny nturalization.