free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: EAD status

Hi, I'm hoping you can help.
    I received my conditional Adjustment of Status in Sept of '08. My EAD expires in April of '09 and I was wondering if I still have to renew it even though I'm now technically a legal resident of the U.S.?

Thanks,
    Pete
    Flame

Hi, I'm hoping you can help.
    I received my conditional Adjustment of Status in Sept of '08. My EAD expires in April of '09 and I was wondering if I still have to renew it even though I'm now technically a legal resident of the U.S.?

Thanks,
    Pete
    Flame

hi Flamebird and welcome,

no, you don't need to renew EAD. In most cases it is taken away during AOS interview since Permanant Residents (conditional or not) don't need it.

Thanks Aneri,
    I still have my EAD card so that's what made me ask. Thank goodness I don't have to re-apply! I've had enough form-filling to last me a lifetime!

Again, thanks for putting my mind to rest.
    Flame

Don't forget to return it. It is not a souvenir.

So I'm supposed to return my EAD card? Hmm...I don't remember being told that when I received my approval notice.
    Flame

They usually take the EAD off you when you have your AOS interview, assuming you get approved then. Sometimes the approval is later and so then it isn't taken from you obviously.

I still have my old one from 2001 somewhere. It's long out-of-date now of course and the photo on it looks nothing like me now My approval came later on.

Better think again on that paperwork I'm afraid. You'll have to file an I-751 by Sept 2011 at minimum and if you go for Citizenship, N-400 again after that in 2012 or 2014 depending how you got the PR (marriage or work).
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Hey Brit and thanks --- I'll file the I-751 around June of 2011 just to be on the safe side. I'm undecided about the citizenship thing. I mean, apart from being able to vote, what are the benefits?
    Flame

Why? Didn't you come here to be an American? Don't you love America? If not, you are taking the place of someone who does love America.

No; my husband had the same situation. They are supposed to take away the EAD card but they let him keep it for some reason... maybe to scrapbook...

If you are a legal permanent resident, you can work without the EAD. Your process is over until your GC expiration nears or you file for citizenship. Yayyyy...