free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: F1 student making money online

F1 student making money online

I am an F1 student here in California and I have always wanted to create a website to make some money from it. You may already be aware of how this works. I create a website and put up ads or refer viewers to other online products for which I get a commission. If I build up enough of a reputation, I might even be able to write my own book and sell it on my website.

So under F1 employment rules, is it possible to do this? Practically it should be possible since the whole idea behind F1 students not being able to work off-campus is to prevent us from stealing jobs from the US citizens,and in this case we are not stealing anyone's jobs but simply making money off of the internet. But the whole matter confuses me. Some expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by leongeneris View Post
    I am an F1 student here in California and I have always wanted to create a website to make some money from it. You may already be aware of how this works. I create a website and put up ads or refer viewers to other online products for which I get a commission. If I build up enough of a reputation, I might even be able to write my own book and sell it on my website.

So under F1 employment rules, is it possible to do this? Practically it should be possible since the whole idea behind F1 students not being able to work off-campus is to prevent us from stealing jobs from the US citizens,and in this case we are not stealing anyone's jobs but simply making money off of the internet. But the whole matter confuses me. Some expert advice would be greatly appreciated.
    The question will arise whether you are here as a student or as an investor. This will depend on how well your "e-commerce" business will do. If you are part time and not very active, it should not be a problem especially if foreign persons are asking you to perform independent services for them. If US citizens, it may be problematic.

The part of your answer comes from where you resided prior to entering the United States. There are some 54 tax treaties in force. Depending on the treaty depends on the ease of earning inocme and knowing whether it is exempt from tax by US law or by treaty. This also ties into the first point above about how successful your business venture will be. If very successful, it could be argued you are under the wrong visa and should be under a different visa. ''

I hope this helps.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

250 k and your in. However it never stated anything about the beforehand and endeavor to get there. Listen to Hudson, He/She probably knows the best way.
    Oh and FYI, the internet rules are changing daily, Investments, Gambling, Taxes, Make haste
    Last edited by MakeItRight2; 08-30-2012 at 02:50 AM.