free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attorneys are rip offs.

I understand that its a business to them, but I have called many attorneys regarding my situation, all of them scared me into using their services. My wife who is from another country convinced me to file our petition without the services of an attorney.. She was correct, I filed a petition for her, and within 6 months she got her green card. I would advise anyone, as long as you dont lie, and your marriage is not fraudulant, save your money and do not seek the services of an attorney. Marriage based immigration is simple, as long as the relationship is legitamate. Finally, all the information on the forms are simply information about yourself, so why have an attorney submit your application when all he is going to do is input your information. Also, every form on the USCIS website gives specific instructions on filing. Additionally, the 800 number for customer service is awesome, the immigration agents are helpful and will take the time to guide you through the process. We saved 3 thousand dollars in attorney fees, no we can go honeymooning. YAYA

I understand that its a business to them, but I have called many attorneys regarding my situation, all of them scared me into using their services. My wife who is from another country convinced me to file our petition without the services of an attorney.. She was correct, I filed a petition for her, and within 6 months she got her green card. I would advise anyone, as long as you dont lie, and your marriage is not fraudulant, save your money and do not seek the services of an attorney. Marriage based immigration is simple, as long as the relationship is legitamate. Finally, all the information on the forms are simply information about yourself, so why have an attorney submit your application when all he is going to do is input your information. Also, every form on the USCIS website gives specific instructions on filing. Additionally, the 800 number for customer service is awesome, the immigration agents are helpful and will take the time to guide you through the process. We saved 3 thousand dollars in attorney fees, no we can go honeymooning. YAYA

Good advice, Darth. If the AOS process is straightforward and everything is on the up and up, no need for an attorney. There are also many websites to help guide folks through the immigration process. Waste of money to pay an attorney. Have fun on your honeymoon!!!

Agreed with sites like this and a little reading it is possible.

BUT you hit the nail on the head IF the marriage is legitimate.

Good luck to you both and congradulations!

Are you serious? That's just like saying "all bread is bad" just because you taste white bread and don't like it.

The petition you filed is yes, an easy one, if you have a bona fide marriage. Obviously you talked to some money-hungry attorneys, but not all of them are like that.

I too filed my spouse's marriage petition and had no issues because I am a paralegal and did my homework on what makes up a good case.

Just because you had one easy petition doesn't mean all attorneys are 'rip-offs.' Some immigrant petitions are extremely difficult and require legal advice and counsel, otherwise, major problems may arise.

You owe an obligation to pay for attorneys !!! Law School is very expensive and we need lawyers to provide justice and to stimulate the economy !!! You are anti-American !!!!

good for you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darth:
    .. the 800 number for customer service is awesome, the immigration agents are helpful and will take the time to guide you through the process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's nice too...However, too many times 800 service is either not helpful or gives wrong information. DO NOT rely on them.

No I am not anti american, and as a matter of fact, my sister is an attorney as well as my brother in law. I just didnt appreciate the scare tactics by at least 10 different attorneys. They would beat around the bush when I asked easy questions, etc.

800 Service is usually not very accurate, but you have to remember, you are dealing with the department of homeland security. It is their job responsiblilty to give out accurate information, or they would not give any info at all.

Finally, I know that the more complicated cases should be done by an attorney, my simple argument was, for the Legitamate BONAFIDE marriage cases - refer to the instructions and call the uscis 800 number - save your money.

THanks to all the positive feedback people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darth:for the Legitamate BONAFIDE marriage cases - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats only about 1% of the cases.
    I have always stated "Only criminals need lawyers"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darth:
    800 Service is usually not very accurate, but you have to remember, you are dealing with the department of homeland security. It is their job responsiblilty to give out accurate information, or they would not give any info at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

800 Service is outsourced to contractors that hire temp people who read from ready-made scripts...If they don't understand a particular situation (and they are not immigration agents) or it is a little bit more complex situation... they are lost. Some will ask for help, the others will just say tell to call back in 90 days, or, in worst case, give completely wrong information... and people would trust them. It is true that if you call them 5 times you'll get 3 different answers.