free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Nonimmigrant V visa (V2) and Child Status Protection Act

Sir/Madam
    I just arrived here in California from the Philippines last July 12th 2002.Using a Nonimmigrant V Visa (V2).They issued me that kind of visa since i have been waiting for my petition for more than 3 years and i have pending petition which is the priority date is December 21,1998,and my mom is a Legal Permanent Resident,my visa category is F2A.And my problem is i am now 20 years old,turning 21 this coming November 12th 2002,and my V visa is about to expire before my 21st birthday.My question is,do i have to go back in the Philippines before my 21st birthday?How can i use the new law "Child Status Protection Act" HR 1209?.Because i just want to wait my petition here in California.Can you please tell me what to do?Thanks!!!!!!!!

Mr.Edz

Sir/Madam
    I just arrived here in California from the Philippines last July 12th 2002.Using a Nonimmigrant V Visa (V2).They issued me that kind of visa since i have been waiting for my petition for more than 3 years and i have pending petition which is the priority date is December 21,1998,and my mom is a Legal Permanent Resident,my visa category is F2A.And my problem is i am now 20 years old,turning 21 this coming November 12th 2002,and my V visa is about to expire before my 21st birthday.My question is,do i have to go back in the Philippines before my 21st birthday?How can i use the new law "Child Status Protection Act" HR 1209?.Because i just want to wait my petition here in California.Can you please tell me what to do?Thanks!!!!!!!!

Mr.Edz

I'm sorry to hear about your situation ED, unfortunately the H.R 1209 doesn't seem to have provision for cases like yours and many other children who are are in the same dilema as you. The only thing we can do is to appeal to congress to take a look at these cases too. The Child Status Protection Act was supposed to prevent children from aging out of immigration benefits unfortunately there was no mention of the v.visa which is also an immigration benefit that children of legal permanent residents aged out of.

Sir/Madam,

Please help us to appeal in congress about this matter.But all i know is,although my v visa (V2)is about to expire before my 21st birthday since i am now 20 years old.I can still avail the new law "Child Status Protection Act"HR 1209,because i still have the approval notice from the INS which is the form I-130,Priority Dateecember 21,1998,Unmarried Child Under 21 of permanent Resident(F2A).But i just want to know if,do i need to go back in the Philippines before my 21st b-day?Is there any options for me to do by not going back to my country before my 21st b-bay?Do i still eligible to file an extension or changing my status to Legal Permanent resident?

Thanks,
    Edz

There is no need for you to go back to manila as having V visa can allow you to work even in the US.You can wait for your petition here instead of going back to Manila as long as you inform NVC that you are with an approved V visa.

Sir,
    Do you think i can wait for my petition here in US?But my Priority date is December 21,1998.And the priority date that the NVC's currently processing is June 1997.My v visa is about to expire this november because im turning 21.What shall i do?Do i need to apply for extension of stay or apply for a change status?Or do i need to go back in manila before my v visa expires?Because the I-94 say's my visa is about to expire this coming november 12,2002.What shall i do.Please Help me!

Edz