free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Implementing Deferred Action

Exclamation Implementing Deferred Action

USCIS apparently wants DREAMers to wait till mid-August to apply affirmatively for employment authorization cards. We don't agree. Our reasoning is straight forward. USCIS has a long record of ignoring directives to deliver benefits - consider, for example, the many years the agency let U visa applications gather dust without adjudicating them. Given the record of tardy processing, capped off by excessive bureaucratic nit-picking even in the face of clear orders to deliver benefits, USCIS's mid-August date could easily slip into mid-November, and then to never-ever, should Mr. Romney win the election. While some organizations are concerned with DREAMers possibly facing returned applications, and perhaps being targeted for future enforcement action, we are much more concerned about DREAMers not getting any benefits at all, ever. In other words, we view Mr. Obama's announcement as more MIRAGE than DREAM, UNLESS DREAMers continue to put relentless pressure on the White House, Congress, the Courts, and above all, through public opinion, to ensure that the President actually delivers on his promise. Since Mr. Obama's motivations are transparently political, a convincing political case made now will have an effect of delivering benefits before the election, whereas complacency now will only ensure that no DREAMer gets anything more than words from this administration. We believe DREAMers are a lot smarter than listening to USCIS's exhortation to wait till mid-August, and we encourage DREAMers to put their creative caps on to keep the pressure on.

Greg Siskind has certainly put his thinking cap on, and has some creative suggestions for USCIS: "This is designed to be a post to encourage constructive suggestions for implementing the President's new policy for DREAMers. Here are two to kick things off - 1. Use the I-765 as the application form rather than coming up with something new. Simply add a supplemental instruction form regarding eligibility for the policy and listing types of supporting documents that need to be included. 2. Consider modifying the new ELIS electronic filing system to accept these applications. With a possible million applications coming, the agency is going to face extreme pressures to adjudicate cases in a timely manner and maintain quality control. This is an excellent opportunity for USCIS to show off this robust new system. 3. Do not delay issuing employment cards until after the deferred action is approved. Consider using TPS and adjustment of status as a model. In both types of cases, work cards are granted while the applicant waits on the approval of the underlying application. Remember that not only do you need the EADs to work, but also to get drivers licenses and driving without a license is a way for anti-immigrant zealots like Joe Arpaio in Arizona to make life miserable for ......http://www.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/...2.shtm#Comment
    -BoardWizard

Here is what I do not get:

Obama gets credit for doing half of what most uncompromising Republicans wanted to do during Bush administration in opposition to McCain-Kennedy ?
    How is it that Obama gets credit for doing half of what ANY Republican would support before he was sworn a President?

Do you all remember how Republicans, during 2006 and 2007 heated debates, were offering a "piece by piece" legislation and ready to broadly support DREAM while Dems refused the deal unless CIR was passed?

What is this now? Obama is not doing even half of what Republicans would do before he was a President. Deferred action is nothing, it means you surely will be deported once it's expired (compare this to DREAM Act) and now gets praised as if he passed two 1986 reforms in the row?

Politics, going far beyond excesses of absurdity, becomes boring at certain point.
    That's one of those moments.
    [IMG:left]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_71xng3bfgYI/TTr2VioHvHI/AAAAAAAAAF8/S3D_j5sPwTo/s1600/62846660_Dali.jpg[/IMG] [i]When Andre Breton discovered for himself my paintings, he was clearly shocked by excremental details polluting it. I was surprised.

What makes me laugh is Romney's response. He claims Obama has done nothing for immigration reform yet his own party scuttled the 2007 reform bill. He has said on record he doesn't support the DREAM Act yet now says he wants a "long term solution" but won't say what that is! IWO he'll say and do anything to get elected then do the exact opposite of whatever position he took before...if you can even get him to commit to a previous position. What a loser! Mr 1% and hopelessly out of touch. If he's elected this is the kind of person we'll be dealing with.
    Last edited by Brit4064; 06-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Quote Originally Posted by Brit4064 View Post
    What makes me laugh is Romney's response. He claims Obama has done nothing for immigration reform yet his own party scuttled the 2007 reform bill. He has said on record he doesn't support the DREAM Act yet now says he wants a "long term solution" but won't say what that is! IWO he'll say and do anything to get elected then do the exact opposite of whatever position he took before...if you can even get him to commit to a previous position. What a loser! Mr 1% and hopelessly out of touch. If he's elected this is the kind of person we'll be dealing with.
    First of all, Brit, you are very badly disguised supporter of very views that , on face value, you faint to be criticizing. If you think you are fooling anyone you must be the one who you assume others to be.

What you really find laughable ( I think) is that in your view Democrats are such fools for having placed so much faith on Obama who turned out to be just a flip-flop and when you talk about Romney you certainly hint at Obama.

Keep in mind that not everyone supported Obama from very beginning. A lot of Centrists in Deomcratic side wanted Hillary to win. Then huge marketing campaign started (with Oprah giving it a jump-start) , followed by some Republicans in Red states crossing party lines and voting for Obama to defeat Hillary in primaries, and from there it went on...

So, Obama, even though failing in his task, can not be blamed as one chosen by all those in Democratic side of the scales. In fact, in a long term, in order to restore the Centrist values and prosperous Republic Democrats may consider creating a new party by getting rid of those who supported Obama all along. If constituents, for whatever emotional or impulsive cause, elect a less qualified leader who leads to sure defeat then something is odd about it. But that's just my idle thoughts.

What matters now is that Obama is doing what most uncompromising Republicans couldn't dream of during Bush administration ( all his policies are printed out from FAIRUS.ORG playbook, whose direct supporter was Tancredo whom Rove famously kicked out of WH ).

Now he has granted DIFFERED ACTION (that's not a status , the root word is DEFER , to DEFER [to DELAY] ), which simply means: come forward , let us take your name and address so when the delay is over you can be swiftly removed. Yes , in interim beneficiaries will get EAD, but don't we all remember even most antagonistic Republicans ready to embrace a DREAM ACT (which was granting a FULL PERMANENT STATUS) in opposition to McCain-Kennedy in 2006-2007? In fact that was a compromise the most vehement opponents of CIR offered back then and it was flat-out refused by Democrats as half measure.
    Now Obama does half of the half measure Republicans would do before he became a President and somehow he now owed a praise and credit?
    I just don't get this.

Do you know how people are screwed nowadays by deliberate delay tactics , people who apply for legal status are deliberately HELD (there are NO FBI NAME-CHECK DELAYS ANYMORE after the Bush admin memo ordering processing of all name check related procedures in 180 days) , they just plainly DELAY (for no reason or excuse) the decisions in thousands of cases across the nation (go to immigration.com , visajourney.com , British expats and many other forums and read TRUE stories of people languishing for year or two before EVER hearing from USCIS again).

THIS IS what this guys admin does today, Bush was a lot friendlier to immigrants, now why does he take credit for doing something extraordinarily good for immigrants?

Actions speak louder than words, whatever the rhetoric it is actions that matter.
    And we see very well what this administration is doing to immigrants.
    Last edited by OldE3; 06-23-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    [IMG:left]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_71xng3bfgYI/TTr2VioHvHI/AAAAAAAAAF8/S3D_j5sPwTo/s1600/62846660_Dali.jpg[/IMG] [i]When Andre Breton discovered for himself my paintings, he was clearly shocked by excremental details polluting it. I was surprised.

Could Obama do anything else with a Republican backed "do nothing" Congress? Deferring deportation is as good as it gets right now. Do you see Romney really offering a "long term solution" when many in his party hate illegal immigrants? No. He's just doing what politicians do best...talk and hope people don't remember what they said previously. Republicans (and some Democrats) these days always shout "amnesty" whenever a permanent solution to this problem is offered even when it's not amnesty. That effectively ends debate. That's what happened in 2007. It's what will happen in 2013 or whenever. At least Obama is brave enough to make a decision in an election year. Something spineless Romney won't do (unless his corporate masters tell him to do it).
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Could Obama do anything else with a Republican backed "do nothing" Congress? Deferring deportation is as good as it gets right now. Do you see Romney really offering a "long term solution" when many in his party hate illegal immigrants? No. He's just doing what politicians do best...talk and hope people don't remember what they said previously. Republicans (and some Democrats) these days always shout "amnesty" whenever a permanent solution to this problem is offered even when it's not amnesty. That effectively ends debate. That's what happened in 2007. It's what will happen in 2013 or whenever. At least Obama is brave enough to make a decision in an election year. Something spineless Romney won't do (unless his corporate masters tell him to do it).
    Obama had 60 votes in Senate and large majority in House until 2011. He promised to take on Immigration during his first year in office (that would be 2009).

Clinton wrote in his book how he was puzzled with Obama not passing a budget until after mid-term defeat in November 2010 and loss of votes in congress in January 2011 (he could surely pass what he wanted when he had all the votes he needed and when no Congressman had to worry about a seat, between 11/2010 and 01/2011: those who lost had already lost) . Clinton doesn't mention immigration in his book, but you get the idea...

Opposition to CIR was always rooted among "Hallelujahs Jesus!" singing dimwits (simply put: Southern Democrats, who defected after Lindon Johnson and found religion when invited by Reagan).
    One can understand Republican leaders having to deal with the base that is very stubborn, stupid and vehement about anything they advocate.
    One has to wonder, what incentive did Obama have to go over the line trying to please the same constituency?
    Last edited by OldE3; 06-23-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldE3 View Post
    One has to wonder, what incentive did Obama have to go over the line trying to please the same constituency?
    I don't think he was trying to please anybody. There were more important issues to be dealt with at the time like clearing up Bush II's economic mess and healthcare reform was deemed to be more important than immigration reform. The latter became a big political issue and the old Reaganites were reborn as the Tea Party who opposed any such reform (healthcare or otherwise).

Although it's a bit late in the day, I think he's taken this move to reassure his supporters that immigration reform is still an issue and as I said above, given the "do nothing" Congress this is as good as it gets.

Although it's a bit late in the day, I think he's taken this move to reassure his supporters that immigration reform is still an issue and as I said above, given the "do nothing" Congress this is as good as it gets.
    He had "do something" Congress and political capital too , but he chose to waste former and use latter to do what extreme Tantonits were dreaming of but never able to achieve under Bush administration.

Bush could have done something like Obama has done but didn't. Romney found his immigration voice all of a sudden. Amazing eh?

Bush could have done something like Obama has done but didn't.
    Irony is - you are right. Bush could have deported nearly million per year but didn't.