50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Abandoning Green Card at This Time & reapplying later

Currently, i am green card holder and would like to abandon it because it is too much to maintain it.

Reapply for it after five years through my daughter who is US citizen.

Is it possible. Do i have any liability to abandon green card.

Currently, i am green card holder and would like to abandon it because it is too much to maintain it.

Is it possible. Do i have any liability to abandon green card.

hi raymond...yes, it is possible and a simple process. You need to go by the embassy (make an appointment first) and fill out one paper.

There are no negative consenquences if one officialy abandons GC. That person may apply for tourist visa the same day (or use VWP), as well as be sponsored for GC again.

If the process of getting GC would be shorter (and maybe less expensive), I suspect many more people would do what's right when one doesn't really live in the US - officialy return GC.

The others will advise you to take opposite way: get US citizenship .... I don't see a big deal in abandoning GC if one doesn't live or wan't live in the US in the near future.. Goodl luck

Aneri is right about others telling you that you should get US citizenship.......including myself. If you have absolutely no intention whatsoever of ever living here again then fair enough but the fact that you asked whether you can reapply in 5 years suggests otherwise.............it blows my mind why you would want to put yourself through, the bureaucracy, the hassles and the expense of getting your green card again. If you stick it out for a few years and get your citizenship, you can come and go as much as you like and if you decide that you will never return at least by having your citizenship, you have the option to change your mind........I don't know your circumstances and what has brought you to this decision but I truely hope you change your mind and get your citizenship.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raymond55:

Is it possible. Do i have any liability to abandon green card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I suspect that when you say it is too much to maintain it. you are referring to remaining in the US in order to preserve your resident status rather than any fee required to renew it?

Yes, you can abandon PR, but I advise you to do this formally by way of the correct form, rather than simply leaving the US at this time, if you have family ties in the USA. You might find that visiting the US at some time in the future may be more complicated unless you follow the correct procedure to register your interest in making another country your permanent residence.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.