50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Immigration Law Question: Visa Waiver Program Child Overstay

Hi All, my situation is this...I am currently a permanent resident following my marriage to a US citizen last year, unfortunately that marriage ended a few months ago due to domestic violence & my husband and I are now separated...we have no children together (thankfully). I have since started a relationship with a friend thats a US citizen whom I have known for some time now and we are expecting our first child and planning to get married as soon as my divorce is through in April/May 2012.

My problem is that I have an 11 year old child that is a UK citizen, she entered the US this past June for the summer but I would like her to stay here with me (she wants to stay too), the stamp in her passport says she must leave the US in a couple of weeks but I have been told by an online attourney that she can overstay & when my current partner and I marry next year he can file the I-130 & I-485 for her as his step daughter, and that the overstay wont really matter...is this true??

Hi All, my situation is this...I am currently a permanent resident following my marriage to a US citizen last year, unfortunately that marriage ended a few months ago due to domestic violence & my husband and I are now separated...we have no children together (thankfully). I have since started a relationship with a friend thats a US citizen whom I have known for some time now and we are expecting our first child and planning to get married as soon as my divorce is through in April/May 2012.

My problem is that I have an 11 year old child that is a UK citizen, she entered the US this past June for the summer but I would like her to stay here with me (she wants to stay too), the stamp in her passport says she must leave the US in a couple of weeks but I have been told by an online attourney that she can overstay & when my current partner and I marry next year he can file the I-130 & I-485 for her as his step daughter, and that the overstay wont really matter...is this true??

Wrong. He has to adopt the child, but she cannot adjust here as an illegal alien. She has to leave and wait overseas.

Or he has to file 485 for you and her at the same time, but she is still here illegally and this shows fraudulent intent. And her application will be denied.