Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DRAFT is COMING!

Update :

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand what we are engaged in today and what the prospects are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation Iraq.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

The Nebraska Republican added that a draft, which was ended in the early 1970s, would spread the burden of military service in Iraq more equitably among various social strata.

"Those who are serving today and dying today are the middle class and lower middle class," he observed.

The call to consider a imposing a draft comes just days after the Pentagon (news - web sites) moved to extend the missions of some 20,000 of the 135,000 US troops in Iraq.

Some critics of the US-led occupation complain that military planners used too few troops to subdue Iraq, and insist that more military muscle will be needed to restore order.

The US-led military coalition was put under further strain by the announcement this week by coalition members Spain and Honduras that they would withdraw their military contingents from Iraq.

Meanwhile, witnesses at the hearing, including academics and former US officials, expressed concern about ongoing flareups of violence in Iraq this month -- the bloodiest yet for US troops.

"I think it's clear that pressures in Iraq have reached the boiling point," said Samuel Berger, national security adviser during the Bill Clinton (news - web sites) administration, who called for an increase in troops there, and a "genuine, non-grudging effort to internationalize the enterprise in Iraq, both military and civilian."

"We've got to be prepared to give up our hammerlock on decision making in exchange for genuine burden sharing."

Richard Perle, a former White House adviser who currently serves as a fellow at a conservative think tank, advised against adding troops or extending the date of handover of Iraqi sovereignty beyond the currently-set June 30 date.

"It is essential that we not delay the handover of sovereignty set for the end of June, even if there is continuing violence by those who know they have no place in a decent, democratic Iraq," he said.

Perle also warned against entrusting the United Nations (news - web sites) with the post-occupation administration of Iraq, saying UN involvement should be kept at "an absolute minimum."

"A large UN contingent in Iraq ... would do more harm than good," Perle said.

"It would discourage the assumption of sovereignty by Iraqis themselves. It would drain resources urgently needed for the development of Iraq's economy," Perle said.

A senior Democrat meanwhile, lashed out at the White House for failing to send a top administration official to appear before the panel.

"I think it is outrageous that the administration has not provided every witness we've asked for," said Senator Joseph Biden, the highest-ranking Democrat on the committee.

"The fact that they are not prepared to send a witness means that they are either totally incompetent and they don't have anything to tell us ... or they're refusing to allow us to fulfill our constitutional responsibility" of congressional oversight, Biden said.

The committee's Republican chairman, Richard Lugar, also slammed the White House for "inadequate planning and communication related to Iraq."

Guess who is going to Jail if his named is called up? ..... ME!

Update :

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand what we are engaged in today and what the prospects are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation Iraq.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

The Nebraska Republican added that a draft, which was ended in the early 1970s, would spread the burden of military service in Iraq more equitably among various social strata.

"Those who are serving today and dying today are the middle class and lower middle class," he observed.

The call to consider a imposing a draft comes just days after the Pentagon (news - web sites) moved to extend the missions of some 20,000 of the 135,000 US troops in Iraq.

Some critics of the US-led occupation complain that military planners used too few troops to subdue Iraq, and insist that more military muscle will be needed to restore order.

The US-led military coalition was put under further strain by the announcement this week by coalition members Spain and Honduras that they would withdraw their military contingents from Iraq.

Meanwhile, witnesses at the hearing, including academics and former US officials, expressed concern about ongoing flareups of violence in Iraq this month -- the bloodiest yet for US troops.

"I think it's clear that pressures in Iraq have reached the boiling point," said Samuel Berger, national security adviser during the Bill Clinton (news - web sites) administration, who called for an increase in troops there, and a "genuine, non-grudging effort to internationalize the enterprise in Iraq, both military and civilian."

"We've got to be prepared to give up our hammerlock on decision making in exchange for genuine burden sharing."

Richard Perle, a former White House adviser who currently serves as a fellow at a conservative think tank, advised against adding troops or extending the date of handover of Iraqi sovereignty beyond the currently-set June 30 date.

"It is essential that we not delay the handover of sovereignty set for the end of June, even if there is continuing violence by those who know they have no place in a decent, democratic Iraq," he said.

Perle also warned against entrusting the United Nations (news - web sites) with the post-occupation administration of Iraq, saying UN involvement should be kept at "an absolute minimum."

"A large UN contingent in Iraq ... would do more harm than good," Perle said.

"It would discourage the assumption of sovereignty by Iraqis themselves. It would drain resources urgently needed for the development of Iraq's economy," Perle said.

A senior Democrat meanwhile, lashed out at the White House for failing to send a top administration official to appear before the panel.

"I think it is outrageous that the administration has not provided every witness we've asked for," said Senator Joseph Biden, the highest-ranking Democrat on the committee.

"The fact that they are not prepared to send a witness means that they are either totally incompetent and they don't have anything to tell us ... or they're refusing to allow us to fulfill our constitutional responsibility" of congressional oversight, Biden said.

The committee's Republican chairman, Richard Lugar, also slammed the White House for "inadequate planning and communication related to Iraq."

Guess who is going to Jail if his named is called up? ..... ME!

That is just political rhetoric and postering.

No way is ANY gov't going to institute the draft in an election year.

It is not going to happen!

This a consideration IF Bush wins, not before.

all the more reason to vote against Bush... just in case!

Senator Hagel is simply trying to gain attention and exposure.

It is not part of a plan to be implemented if (when) Bush wins. It is not a part of anybody's plan at all. Like I said before - it is simple political rhetoric. Nothing more.

ARQU

Spouse - And you would leave the protection of the US and all of us to Kerry and his band of left-wing pacifist extremists? He is the only guy that I know that can make Ted Kennedy look like a moderate!

Yikes!!!!

ARQU

Do I prefer peace to war? YES

Do I prefer love to hate? YES

Do I prefer tolerance to prejudice? YES

Do I prefer reality to priviledge? YES

Do I prefer Kerry to Bush? YES

Wanna end illegal immigratin?

Instill a draft where ALIENS get drafted first. And USC's get the enjoyment of not having to get drafted. Why should USC's be forced, but not immigrants?

Watch all the mexicans run back to mexico. The draft and WWI, II is what kept mexicans in mexico for most of last century.

-= nav =-

Do you prefer:

Rape rooms to Freedom?
    Genecide to Survival?
    Hatred to Acceptance?
    Dictators to Elected Gov'ts?
    Death to Life?

Don't forget that it was not the USA who started the recent violence:
    Afganistan = WTC attack...
    Iraq = Attack on Kuwait 10 yrs ago and refusal to abide by terms at end of hositilies. Oh yes - murder of thousands of Iraqi Kurds... And down-right refusal to cooperate with 14 UN resolutions...

I assume you think the US should just let terrorists and others who spread their hatred and propoganda continue to build up strength so they can get some WMD or other such stuff.... After all - we wouldn't want to p.i.s.s. off these murderous thugs - after all they might get offended... Spouse - you and those who really don't understand what is at stake here really scare me...

People like you caused the US to drag its feet in the late 1930's because they didn't want to annoy Hitler... We could have saved millions of lives if he had been told to get the FOCK. out of Poland...

I am all for peace - but not at the price of my freedom and my son's life. I was in NYC on Sept 11 and watched the towers fall - I think Bush has kicked A.S.S. since then an I SAY THAT IS GREAT!!!! Now if we would just fix Iran, North Korea, Syria, and Egypt - the world might actually be a safe place once again...

If Kerry wins - I am actually going to leave. I think that if that is the case, the USA WILL be attacked within 10 mos - this time killing tens of thousands - maybe even more...

Now I do hate most of Bush's domestic agenda (stem cell, removal of freedom of speach (Howard Stern, etc), going after a amendment to make g.a.y. marriage unconstitutional, etc... ) However, I think the very surivival of the USA as we know it depends on strong leadership who is not afraid to stomp on those who threaten our very existance...

But that is just me and I have no vote anyway...

ARQU