free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: PLEASE REPLYY!!!!

Hi

Recently my apartment sent me a letter to provide evidence of my Legal Status in USA.

I have been living in USA since five years and have changed several apartments, but no one has ever asked thing like this.

Is this normal from your apartment office to ask for a legal status ? There was nothing mentioned like this in the application when leased the apartment.

Hi

Recently my apartment sent me a letter to provide evidence of my Legal Status in USA.

I have been living in USA since five years and have changed several apartments, but no one has ever asked thing like this.

Is this normal from your apartment office to ask for a legal status ? There was nothing mentioned like this in the application when leased the apartment.

Yes it is illegal to do that. However, I believe I saw a story in recent months where law enforcement was meeting with apartment managers in certain states. Sometimes there are overzealous US citizens around. I'd make sure I have my staus up to date.

If your status is legal what is there to fear? All you have to do is show driver's license or state ID and that's it.
    Owners or companies who own apartments are getting more security conscious in the name of patriotism, if not overzealous on latest political scenario.Lately, they are doing this checking of papers so they will be safe from possible government crackdown as they may be liable for "harboring illegals".
    Of course, it is another story if you are illegal.How and where can you complain on this matter if you are illegal as your rights are limited.

Like I said on your earlier post, call the HUD office. The number is on the other thread.

If I were an apartmentowner, I'd want to know if a person applying for an apt was here legally for this simple reason: how can a person that is not allowed to work guarantee that they're going to pay the rent?

I honestly don't know if this is a legal tactic or not; I'd recommend that you consult an attorney and/or HUD.

If any apartment manager wants to know my status in USA, I'd bet that apartment was a rats-***, section 8 type located somewhere on the east coast. Decent places don't engage in that type of crap. Remember it is ILLEGAL.