free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pence's no amnesty immigration reform bill draws Congressional support

Rick Klein of The Boston Globe writes today that support is building within Congress for Rep. Pence's "middle-ground approach" to immigration reform.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"One such proposal -- floated by Representative Mike Pence of Indiana, chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee -- would allow some undocumented immigrants to become guest workers, but would not give them an automatic path to citizenship. Undocumented workers would have to leave the country and apply for guest worker visas. They would also have to apply for citizenship under current rules.

"Pence and other Republicans say they think the party can coalesce around his idea since it fulfills the president's goal of establishing a guest worker program without offering amnesty to those who entered the country illegally. The White House and Senate Republicans praised the proposal as a signal that House conservatives are willing to engage in negotiations, but emphasized that it is strictly a starting point for further talks.

"Kingston said Pence's proposal could also include a blue-ribbon commission that would make further recommendations about the fate of undocumented immigrants who stay in the United States.

"'We've got to consider things like this,' said Representative Bill Shuster, a Pennsylvania Republican. 'To even talk about a path to citizenship is premature until we take care of our borders.'

"Pence's proposal, however, drew a harsh response from some hard-liners in Congress.

"It is an amnesty with a twist: touch base [in home countries], then come back,' said Representative Tom Tancredo, Republican of Colorado.

"Sensenbrenner said a proposal such as Pence's could have merit because it does not contain a special path to citizenship.

"'A guest worker program I think can be on the table if it does not contain an amnesty,' he said. "'I think the American public is entitled to having a vote on a compromise before the elections, so that the voters can go to the polls assessing how their representatives and senators have done on this issue before they decide who to send back.'"

Syndicated columnist Bob Novak also sheds new details about the Congressman's plan in this column.

Rick Klein of The Boston Globe writes today that support is building within Congress for Rep. Pence's "middle-ground approach" to immigration reform.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"One such proposal -- floated by Representative Mike Pence of Indiana, chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee -- would allow some undocumented immigrants to become guest workers, but would not give them an automatic path to citizenship. Undocumented workers would have to leave the country and apply for guest worker visas. They would also have to apply for citizenship under current rules.

"Pence and other Republicans say they think the party can coalesce around his idea since it fulfills the president's goal of establishing a guest worker program without offering amnesty to those who entered the country illegally. The White House and Senate Republicans praised the proposal as a signal that House conservatives are willing to engage in negotiations, but emphasized that it is strictly a starting point for further talks.

"Kingston said Pence's proposal could also include a blue-ribbon commission that would make further recommendations about the fate of undocumented immigrants who stay in the United States.

"'We've got to consider things like this,' said Representative Bill Shuster, a Pennsylvania Republican. 'To even talk about a path to citizenship is premature until we take care of our borders.'

"Pence's proposal, however, drew a harsh response from some hard-liners in Congress.

"It is an amnesty with a twist: touch base [in home countries], then come back,' said Representative Tom Tancredo, Republican of Colorado.

"Sensenbrenner said a proposal such as Pence's could have merit because it does not contain a special path to citizenship.

"'A guest worker program I think can be on the table if it does not contain an amnesty,' he said. "'I think the American public is entitled to having a vote on a compromise before the elections, so that the voters can go to the polls assessing how their representatives and senators have done on this issue before they decide who to send back.'"

Syndicated columnist Bob Novak also sheds new details about the Congressman's plan in this column.

Except that amnesty advocates in the Senate won't buy it because it doesn't contain amnesty or a path to citizenship.

there is good news and bad news about mike pence immigration bill.

-The good news is, we will definatly have immigration bill before november that will go much further then enforcement-only...I think members of the house realize that not budging on this enforcement-only theory is childish and why even go to a senate-house hearing if you arent planning to make some compromise?...So the good news is, they want something rather then nothing whyle realizing that they will have to get off this enforcement-only thingy. You can even see by reading the article that those guys desperatly want to do something to show their constituencies..Im glad that mike pence also have a strong following of 115 members in his education commitee whatever it is, so he could push them to get off the main spirited bill.

-Bad news is, mike pence bill is exactly what kyl-cornyn wanted all along, which is report to deport and not allowing any kind of path to eventually gain citizenship......

i could deal with the first part that says, you have to leave before getting on a legal status, but i dont agree with no path to citizenship once i come in the legal way..what mike pence fails to reailise is after the guest worker permit expires, there is no guaranty that you will be allowed to get in again, so basicly, after 3 years of working, you have to go home with no guaranty that you will again be picked for the guest worker...this is why his bill not good enougt..

I would agree on exiting the country to re eneter legally if the waiting time is less then a year, but once im in, i would like a path to citizenship...Something like that will be more feasible.

So basically my "Fair and Simple Plan" The amnesty would be on the 3/10yr bar. go home and apply like anybody else. Hopefully the plan calls for them to wait in line behind all the others who are coming in the right way. If not this is cr*a*p. Guest worker should have no path to citizenship. Thats why it is called guest. otherwise just make a special lottery for all illegals

4now- they would not wait in line once they exit because it will take forever..the ones that are waiting in lines will get in with full rights whyle the one that will exit and get in wont have permanent residency right, therefore, i dont think they will have to wait for lets say, 10 years...ill say no less then a year since they will be needed to get back in as soon as possible to get back to their jobs..if you make guest workers, at leasthe ones that were once inside, to wait behind future US permanent RESIDENTS, then it would take years, and the businesses will never sign up to this because they will have to wait for their old workers forever.

And just what does the "Pence Plan" plan to do about those illegal aliens who DON'T choose to report to deport?

Again, if there is no enforcement before any amnesty or guest worker program, we can only expect more illegal aliens, and more corruption like we have now.

Jean--the House is more at risk by accepting a guest worker program or especially any form of amnesty. All of them are up for re-election and the voters in their districts will accept no bill before an amnesty, according to one of the articles I was reading this morning.

Aliba- you seem to forget that, not passing anything will be more dangerous to them then sweeping the entire thing under the rugg....i definatly think they will never get the enforcement-only bill that they are desperatly looking for..this is why mike pence and many others are trying to make some compromises whyle still trying to look touugh..i myself think that a path to citizenship will have to be part of any deal that clear congress.

Aliba

R2D2
    Report 2 Deport
    lol

Jean.. If they are not going to wait in line.. then what is the point???? it would just be semantics. There is not even a"twist" just straight up amnesty. why bother with leaving the country bull*cr*ap. It should take those leaving at least a year before they can get things in motion to get back here. No one said it should be easy or accomodating for them. I mean after all they have been given an amnesty on the 3/10 yr bar, and a "chance" to be considered for the employment program.

Furthermore, The employers should not have problem. their positions will be filled with a "body" . shouldnt matter if old worker or new worker..... as it is "unskilled labor" right.????

How about this...
    First Secure the borders.. yes Canada too.

Special Annual "Illegals" Lottery Program

500,000 winners a year.
    Contestant/entrance application fee $ 1,000.00
    no less than 1 million entrees for lottery to be valid for drawing.

Winning contestants subject to passing suitable background checks. Participants responsible for all fees/petition applications. No sponsorship necessary for participant.

EWI participants welcome, but subject to home country validation of identity and applicable background checks.

This would allow the economy to slowly accomodate the illegals into the social and financial programs without it being a massive burdon on U.S. Proceeds from the lottery will help cover expense of paperwork handling etc.

Will be about a 25 year assimilation. good pace. After all , its been 20 years so should be no problem.

Did I read right?

Pence's bill requires every Illegal, regardless how long he/she has been in the US to leave and apply for a guestworker Visa???

That will never work.... On paper it might sound good, in reality not happening.

But, it is a path to a compromise...*G*