50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO HELP SOMEONE BECOME AN AMERICN CITIZEN

I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years now and have 2 kids together. I have called INS and asked them how I go about making him an american citizen. They told me we have to get married then fill out a I-130. And then there is a good chance they will send him back to Mexico for as long as it takes to get a visa. He has had a work permit before but then expired and got a letter telling him and his family for volinteer deportation. Of course he did not leave. Will they really send him back to Mexico and what other way could I help him get citizenship? Please reply I need help thank you.

I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years now and have 2 kids together. I have called INS and asked them how I go about making him an american citizen. They told me we have to get married then fill out a I-130. And then there is a good chance they will send him back to Mexico for as long as it takes to get a visa. He has had a work permit before but then expired and got a letter telling him and his family for volinteer deportation. Of course he did not leave. Will they really send him back to Mexico and what other way could I help him get citizenship? Please reply I need help thank you.

Are you a citizen? Did he enter the country with inspection? Why did he get letter of deportation?

Ok he came here when he was 2 and his parents got a work permit and then he got one. His parents tried to get citizenship here but his dad messed it up somehow but then after their work permit expired they got a letter of deportation but didnt go. I am an american citizen and I have 1 kids with my boyfriend and I just want to help him because I dont think it is fair if he has to go back. We only live on his income but you know what gets me is that he has a real ss# and files for taxes every year but on the card it says "authorized for work only" but it is a real ss# do you know of any way I can help him without him having to go back to mexico?

Jennifer: I think that his Social Security Card should read: "Valid for Work/Employment only with INS Authorization." He likely received the Social Security Card at the time his Employment Authorization was valid. Without an Employment Authorization Document, he can't legally use the Social Security Card to work.

You still haven't advised us as to whether your boyfriend entered America legally...with inspection at the border. If he did so, and he still has his passport and I-94 entry document, the available options are different. If you want us to advise you, then you need to answer the questions that are asked of you...the questions are intended to get information so that you can be helped in a constructive way.

Assuming that your boyfriend and his family entered the country illegally, he will have to return to Mexico and obtain a waiver of inadmissibilty. The fact that he has an outstanding Deportation Order that he ignored likely will make his situation more difficult and complicated.

His mom and dad came here on a work permit but he didnt but when he got older he obtained a work permit. If he returns to mexico there is no telling how long he would have to be there to get another one or even get a visa and he cant go back because we survive on his income alone.

Immigration law is very complicated. I am not a lawywer, so I am only able to provide my opinion based on my limited knowledge and experience.

It appears that your boyfriend entered America without inspection. However, given that he has had an Employment Authorization at one time, it would be logical to assume that he has previously been sponsored for some immigration benefit.

Do you know when such a sponsorship occurred, and whether the sponsorship was Section 245i based? Given that your boyfriend entered illegally, I believe that any immigration application must have been Section 245i eligible...otherwise he would have had to return to his country of origin to apply. His situation is complicated by the fact that he has a pending Order of Deportation, but it may also be possible (a very slight possibility) that he is grandfathered under Section 245i, if he has previously had a Section 245i-based petition.

Section 245i eligibility ended permanently in April 2001, but had been available for different periods of time for several years previously. If, in fact, he is grandfathered under Section 245i, he may be able to submit another application under its terms. It's at least worth asking.

Hopefully others will also respond on this issue, if they have experience.

I am not sure about all of that I don't even know he is knws cause it was all through his parents doing. Thank you for you help anyways. I dought immigration will tell me anything about his case. We are not married or anything so I am sure he would have to do it himself but he is too scared to do anything. I am sure is they really wanted him out of the country they would look up his ss# and see that he is working so I dont think they are too worried about it right? or maybe they are too lazy to do anything.