free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Subject to J-1 two years?

Hi,
    I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on my status. I was in a J-1 (student program) for four years with the two years Home Residency Requirement (HRR). I left the US at the end of my program, and I now am back with a J-1 (Research Scholar). My DS-2019 does not mention any HRR and my visa is stamped "Not subject to Section 212 (e). Two years rule does not apply".
    Does that mean the end of my previous HRR also or does it mean the current program only does not subject me to another HRR?

Thank you.

Hi,
    I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on my status. I was in a J-1 (student program) for four years with the two years Home Residency Requirement (HRR). I left the US at the end of my program, and I now am back with a J-1 (Research Scholar). My DS-2019 does not mention any HRR and my visa is stamped "Not subject to Section 212 (e). Two years rule does not apply".
    Does that mean the end of my previous HRR also or does it mean the current program only does not subject me to another HRR?

Thank you.

From experience you will have to comply with the 2 year residency requirement and you need a waiver for that.

it simply means that your first program made you subject to HRR and you have two years to spend at home (or get a waiver), and that your second program doesn't carry the same "sentence" for another two-year period.

So you have a total of just two years to spend at home. You are lucky, I know people who got two years for each program, and now have to spend 4 years at home.

You should document your stays at home very well, because the time you spend home is cumulative, and you can spend two years in chunks, instead of one single two-year period.