50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: About those misplaced I-94's and I-94W

I have to travel quite a bit, including to and through the US. I am very careful with my I-94W, and many times I have to tell the airline employee at the counter "please don't forget the I-94", a couple of times they have even put it back inside my passport, so I have had to return it to them. Once I even had to explain to guy at the counter what to do with it (amazing!)
    However many tourists who travel once in a while to the US, don't even know what to do with it, or how important it is to submit it (Yes, in the reverse it says YOU have to submit it, but not many people read it). If an airline employee does not take it, many of them will assume it is Ok not to return it.
    Even the US Congress and INS know and admit that their system does not work.
    And many times, even if the I-94 is properly handled at the airline counter, it is not afterwards. I have a friend in Latin America, whose B-2 visa renewal was denied (Visa renewals don't require an interview in most of Latin America, you just drop your passport at the "drop box", with all the required.documents). The reason they gave is that she had overstayed 2 years! During those 2 years she was studying in France. She was able to prove it, and her visa was finally approved, and the consulate said sorry, it was our mistake. But it took quite a bit of paperwork and time to prove she was right (even credit card usage reports from France).
    So, now that the overstay law is finally being applied, will they start refusing entry based on bad data?
    I hope not, but I think yes.
    I really think that until the electronic departure system provides reliable information, they should start stamping passports upon exit, old fashined but solid evidence of departure dates. This could be delegated to the airlines at the counter just before one boards the plane. It would save passengers, consulate and the INS a lot of trouble.

I have to travel quite a bit, including to and through the US. I am very careful with my I-94W, and many times I have to tell the airline employee at the counter "please don't forget the I-94", a couple of times they have even put it back inside my passport, so I have had to return it to them. Once I even had to explain to guy at the counter what to do with it (amazing!)
    However many tourists who travel once in a while to the US, don't even know what to do with it, or how important it is to submit it (Yes, in the reverse it says YOU have to submit it, but not many people read it). If an airline employee does not take it, many of them will assume it is Ok not to return it.
    Even the US Congress and INS know and admit that their system does not work.
    And many times, even if the I-94 is properly handled at the airline counter, it is not afterwards. I have a friend in Latin America, whose B-2 visa renewal was denied (Visa renewals don't require an interview in most of Latin America, you just drop your passport at the "drop box", with all the required.documents). The reason they gave is that she had overstayed 2 years! During those 2 years she was studying in France. She was able to prove it, and her visa was finally approved, and the consulate said sorry, it was our mistake. But it took quite a bit of paperwork and time to prove she was right (even credit card usage reports from France).
    So, now that the overstay law is finally being applied, will they start refusing entry based on bad data?
    I hope not, but I think yes.
    I really think that until the electronic departure system provides reliable information, they should start stamping passports upon exit, old fashined but solid evidence of departure dates. This could be delegated to the airlines at the counter just before one boards the plane. It would save passengers, consulate and the INS a lot of trouble.

I have a question on I-94 if you know. My wife either lost I-94 or was not issued an I-94 when entering US. She has F-2 visa and this happened 4 months ago (Too bad we found it out recently). We were trying to file for new I-94 from INS only to find out it takes several months.
    Do you by chance know if she can be issued at the airport if she needs to travel before then?
    THank you in advance for your comment!