50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Diversity lottery form 122

under item 7a in the DV-122 form it asks if one has worked for at least 2 years in the last 5 years.
    i've done some on and off freelance work (unauthorized) as a designer and have never had to work for an employer in the period in question. so technically i cannot answer yes since it goes on to ask in item 7c to name the employers.( i don't intend withholding this information from them anyway)

to answer 'no' would also seem to be technically inaccurate since i've 'worked' though not in conventional sense for an employer.
    has anyone been thro'this process and what would be the best way to handle this.
    any ideas out there?

thanks

under item 7a in the DV-122 form it asks if one has worked for at least 2 years in the last 5 years.
    i've done some on and off freelance work (unauthorized) as a designer and have never had to work for an employer in the period in question. so technically i cannot answer yes since it goes on to ask in item 7c to name the employers.( i don't intend withholding this information from them anyway)

to answer 'no' would also seem to be technically inaccurate since i've 'worked' though not in conventional sense for an employer.
    has anyone been thro'this process and what would be the best way to handle this.
    any ideas out there?

thanks

You could put self-employed or independent contractor.

You say unauthorized? Are you currently in the US?

If you are here illegally (ie. out of status) you will probably be inelligible to get a greencard, even if you win the lottery. The same might hold true if you worked unauthorized.
    If you are here legally, (ie.on an F-1 visa) you might still get in trouble if CIS finds out that you worked unauthorized, and unless you were paid cash with no records of it whatsoever, it is likely that they will.
    If you win the DV lottery you are basically only gives you an option for the greencard. You still have to be otherwhise eligble to obtain legal permanent resident status. Winning the DV lottery does not guarantee a greencard

I recommend you find out more about your current situation and about your general eligibility before going through the hassle of participating in the lottery

how about if grandfathered by 245i?

I don't know about that, but it might be possible. Maybe someone who knows more about this specific topic can jump in and let you know. Maybe post a more specific topic (ie. can I adjust status with DV lottery if I'm grandfathered under 245i?)
    sorry that I'm not of any more help. Good luck to you though :-)

thanks
    doesn't 'independent contractor' or 'self-employed' seem too formal, kind of authorized
    i mean my situation was rather informal, loose and on and off. a little work now and then nothing consistently approaching an independent contractor or self-employed status
    what d'ya think? any other designation that fits?