free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: 212(c) waiver and citizenship application

Hi everyone,

I am really new here! I was granted a 212(c) waiver on Sep 18th, 2006 and even renewed my green card after that with no problems. My lawer and the judge both told me that I would have no problem filing for naturalization and that I am not barred from citizenship but advised me to wait a few months before I do that. I applied in March (27th to be exact) and my friend applied 2 weeks after me and he is already going for his oath ceremony. I still havent heard anything for the interview. I went for finger printing in May though. On the receipt it says that the application will be processed within 180 days (it will be 180 days for me by Sep 27th). My question to you guys is that, do you know if they have any grounds not to grant me citizenship? I have been a LPR for 17 years and the 212(c) waiver was in regards to an incident in 1993. I am really worried that they may change the laws and therefore deny me. Do you guys have any information about this and also can they go over 180 days of processing times they have on the receipt? Thank you so much!

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

I am really new here! I was granted a 212(c) waiver on Sep 18th, 2006 and even renewed my green card after that with no problems. My lawer and the judge both told me that I would have no problem filing for naturalization and that I am not barred from citizenship but advised me to wait a few months before I do that. I applied in March (27th to be exact) and my friend applied 2 weeks after me and he is already going for his oath ceremony. I still havent heard anything for the interview. I went for finger printing in May though. On the receipt it says that the application will be processed within 180 days (it will be 180 days for me by Sep 27th). My question to you guys is that, do you know if they have any grounds not to grant me citizenship? I have been a LPR for 17 years and the 212(c) waiver was in regards to an incident in 1993. I am really worried that they may change the laws and therefore deny me. Do you guys have any information about this and also can they go over 180 days of processing times they have on the receipt? Thank you so much!

Thanks,

Shirin, Let me get this clear and correct me if I am wrong. You got a waiver in 2006 and renewed your Green Card right after, or did the INS sent you a new Green Card with the sam A#. I would like you to explain a little bit more because from you are saying it does not sound right. Anyway for your Info I think you must be married to a U.S. Citizen for Three Years continuously and Five Years by self. This and more info can be found at WWW.USCIS.GOV good luck...Speedy

Thanks for your reply Speedy!!

I am not married to a US citizen. I have been a LPR since 1990 through my mom whom became a citizen in the 80's. I had an incident in 1993 which caused all the immigration trouble for me. Here is the complete story:

I was supposed to renew my green card in june of 2002 so I filed the appropriate paperwork, finger printing, fees, etc. They said that it would take 3 to 6 months but i never heard back until january of 2006 with a notice of removal for the incident that happened in 1993. I hired the best of lawyers, was able to keep my green card (my green card was never taken away from me. On Sep 18th, 2006, on the final court date, the judge gave me the 212(c) waiver and said that i should re-apply to renew my green card since the expiration date on it had passed. I did that and received the replacement card in less than 2 months (last december). I have not left the country ever, don't even have a speeding ticket, working on Master's degree right now, working full time as a professional. This incident was 14 years ago which is way passed the 5 years.

I hope I was able to explain the situation a little better this time. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Shirin

Oh yeah, I forgot, the A# is the same.

Thank!

Shirin, From what you have mentioned you should not have a problem as long as you answer the questions on the N-400 truthfully. You stated that the waiver was given to you in 2006 this means that you must wait Five Years after before applying for Citizenship. In regards to your arrest you will need to provide a certificate of disposition from the court where you were convicted. Also a letter from the probation department will also help. God Bless!!speedy.

Thanks Speedy but I don't belive I need any of the items you mentioned as they have all been submitted to the USCIS by my lawyer last year (for the 212c waiver) and again this year(for naturalization). As for waiting 5 years, that's only for people who have comitted a crime or anything that violated the moral eligiblity. Both the judge and and my lawyer have told me that I can apply for citizenship and that I should have no problems (and doIn't have to wait at all). My question is (was), I haven't received an interview notice yet and it is almost 180 days since I have received the original notice which said "your application will be processed within 180 days from the date of this receipt". Are they bound by this time line? can they go over that 180 days and still not give my an interview? is there any limit on how long they can take?

Thanks

hi
    I see that the deadline have passed, can you please let me know if you have gotten any solution with your situation. i am trying to find out my self if thats plausible because my husband was in your same situation and i need to apply for his naturalization for him and i'm trying to see if you received any answer yet.